Books for Raw?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lucyandbella

Books for Raw?

Post by lucyandbella »

So I am graduating college after my spring semester and moving back home. I finally will have freezer space to feed raw and my mom wants to try it with her dog to. My question is what are some books to read, only that help figure out what to feed...not just kibble bashing. Or are books unnecessary? I'm a little worried I will not give them the right nutrition and really want to study up before I switch this summer.

Also people who live in the US, do you get shipments or buy from stores? I here people saying they feed green tripe I don't even know where you would get that.
delladooo

Re: Books for Raw?

Post by delladooo »

We switched about 2 months ago. Personally, I didn't read a book as such, just scourer the web for things. Personally I found http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/ to be the most helpful for me and then I also joined various facebook raw groups. Of which my favourites are Rawfeeding Rebels http://www.rawfeedingrebels.com/ and I like a group called Rawsome and Holistic which also looks at the whole dog in terms of illnesses and natural cures.

If you just go a search in facebook there are many groups out there and I wouldn't dream of saying join x group as it's about finding one that works for you, but good luck! :mrgreen:

Oh, and sorry I can't help with the America bit, I can't help there I'm afraid.

Edited to add, there's a page here recommended many facebook groups https://rawdogfood.co/raw-feeding-facebook-groups/ on another raw feeding site for you :D
Erica

Post by Erica »

I don't do a lot of shopping in grocery stores; I only pick up stuff on sale. Otherwise it's cheaper for me to get it from online distributors. If you're on the east coast, I can recommend Hare Today and Raw Feeding Miami. Dunno about other areas though, sorry! I think HT and RFM will still ship there, but it will cost more. The Raw Feeding Community on FB is a primarily US based group, and could help recommend other outlets for your area! :)

If you live anywhere near a proper chops-the-whole-animal-up butcher, you may be able to get green tripe from them but it's unlikely due to sanitation rules; you would have better luck at a slaughterhouse.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The book that got me started was Give Your Dog A Bone by vet. Ian Billinghurst

You might also like to try Essential Care for Dogs by Drakeford and Elliott (Mark Elliott is also a vet)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Aside from the wealth of knowledge here on the forum, the book that helped me the most was Raw Dog Food, Make it Easy For You and Your Dog! by Carina Beth MacDonald. It is full of common sense information about raw feeding. I had done a ton of research before beginning to raw feed my dog and this book really pulls together the best of everything I had read or learned in one concise book.

And, for my own convenience and preference, I buy all my raw food at the grocery store (almost always on sale, so not terribly expensive), so no help with online places to order, sorry.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11