Grass

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Grass

Post by delladooo »

help! I'm desperately in need of a solution before I do something drastic like stick a muzzle on him! (Although people might actually give us some space then :wink: )

I have mentioned before that he eats grass and hay but it's getting worse and beyond ridiculous. The hay situation has improved; mostly because he rarely goes in the yard because really, there's nothing beyond that out there for him. But, pretty much everywhere to take a dog - except along the pavement, and even then some have grass verges - has grass. It started off just the odd bits of longer grass but it's developed into pulling grass, with roots, out of the ground to eat and eating mud :shock: The places close to us (within walking distance) are all a bit waterlogged so there's squelchy bits with holes. Whilst he didn't originally put the holes there he does have a dig about in them and eats whatever he can find as well as whatever is on the floor by the front door when we come in with muddy shoes. We started on kibble - came us to on iams biscuits and butchers meat, went onto vet's kitchen biscuits then applaws biscuits before making the switch to raw. When first switched I anticipated him acting hungrier because of the lack of fillers but we've been raw for 53 days now and he's just getting worse. Today he was fixated on eating this bit of grass to the point I had to physically move him away because there was no way on earth he was going willingly. It's also making it hard to add to his training because the most important thing in the world is eating this grass to the point that when playing fetch he'll drop his ball to eat it which, from the way he acts when there's even the remote possibility of having his ball is nothing short of a miracle.

HELP! I really don't want to stick a muzzle on him because I don't feel like he has a "real reason" for one; his leave or inedibles in the street is greatly improving - including chewing gum woo - and he doesn't usually get chance for food items at the minute; thanks to the cold weather. But, he's starting to also go for weeds between the pavement slabs and I am out of ideas. Moving on, distraction, treats, toys, games nothing is working and his recall is non-existent in this situation too. I think maybe the only thing that would make him voluntarily move is a dog approaching :shock:
Nettle

Re: Grass

Post by Nettle »

How much raw green veg is he getting?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nothing for nutrition value, and we're not on our full offal amount yet as he doesn't like - but does get some in treats as he'll eat dehydrated. veg wise he gets cabbage stalk most days along with some beans / carrot, occasionally some apple, basically a bit of whatever veg the rabbits are getting that day
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I reckon he needs more veg. I recommend liquidising a pack of raw spinach and mixing it in his food. Or you can freeze it, crush it when frozen, and add some warm water instead of liquidising.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I was under the impression they don't need veg in the diet? I am willing to try anything at this point so it's definitely something I will get onto tomorrow but why does he need veg? Also, if he needs more veg would it be safe to assume MiMi does too?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

delladooo wrote:I was under the impression they don't need veg in the diet? I am willing to try anything at this point so it's definitely something I will get onto tomorrow but why does he need veg? Also, if he needs more veg would it be safe to assume MiMi does too?
That's one of those 'Ask five raw feeders and you'll get six different answers' things :wink: (Some will argue that it replicates the prey animals' gut content, then there'll be an argument about whether 'wild dogs'/wolves actually eat the stomach content or not.) I'm not giving Jasper veg at the moment as his current supplier doesn't do them and I'm too lazy to liquidise my own (he gets the odd leftovers and apple cores though). OH is sure that Jasper eats grass more when he's not getting veg, but I'm less convinced. If Laufey thinks grass is that delicious (which is less usual at this time of year than in spring/early summer), it might not make much difference, but it's definitely worth a try.

BTW, Jasper can eat long grass through his muzzle :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

JudyN wrote:That's one of those 'Ask five raw feeders and you'll get six different answers' things :wink: (Some will argue that it replicates the prey animals' gut content, then there'll be an argument about whether 'wild dogs'/wolves actually eat the stomach content or not.)[\quote]
I see your point. I'm definitely willing to give it a go, and whilst I would usually be too lazy to liquidise it at this point I'm willing to try anything because I feel like we can't go places without him spending most of his time glued to a spot.
BTW, Jasper can eat long grass through his muzzle :wink:
Please don't say that! :cry: I'd end up putting mesh or something around the outside of it!

If it was the odd bit of grass it wouldn't worry me but the amount of grass and mud he insists on eating makes me really worry that he's lacking something and he drives me crazy when I call him only for him to look up go "yeah right" and go back to eating grass when I have chicken and liver! Who would take grass over that?!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If they can access grass and herbs, plus the dung of herbivores no they don't need veg in the diet, but if they can't eat freely of these things then we have to supply vegetation. The fact that your dog is trying very hard to eat grass etc indicates that he personally has that need at this time.

I find if mine don't get green veg in their food, they graze a lot more, but if they have plenty they aren't interested except for a nibble here and there.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

ahhh well in that case I wouldn't mind if he couldn't access these things but our garden is full of plants / herbs and he eats all the rabbit / guinea pig poop he can weasel out of their runs, if only he actually went out there!

I think I just need to accept he can't take the easy route in anything :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No: just accept he needs some vegetables and give them to him.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ahahah, on the veg issue, he's going to get spinach smoothy in bit. I hope he enjoys it :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:D good idea!

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Well the smoothy was not a hit. We're trying a new mince (bone in) so had to change what I'm feeding when slightly as they usually have chunks and whole bones - thought the mince was boneless, oh well - we had spinach smoothy and egg for tea last night. We did not like the spinach. This morning I tried whole spinach and we didn't like that either. Think a new green veg needs to be tried next.
Also thinking maybe growing grass in pots for him / them to eat. The actual act of eating the grass doesn't bother me as much as the thought of what stuff could be in the grass at the park
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

Theo like cabbage , broccoli , kale, sprouts you could try these :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You could also try something like Dorwest's Easy Green. One review on their website said it stopped their dog eating grass.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009