Tired and losing weight

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Tired and losing weight

Post by Erica »

Opal seems more tired than usual, and has lost a bit of weight since we brought Delta home. It could be explained by her playing more - plain old wrestling with him and also chasing frisbees and stuff. However, we want to make sure it's not something more. What kinds of things should we ask the vet to check? Thyroid/other organ function blood test, arthritis, anything else? I'm sure the vets will have some guesses too, it's kind of their job haha.

She hasn't lost so much weight that she's underweight. She went from "a tiiiiiny bit overweight" (you could feel her ribs if you tried but you could also tell there was some fat over them) to "just right" (able to feel ribs with just a small bit of fat covering them).

When I take Delta out to play she wants to join in and doesn't seem too slow then :P

Recap, Opal is a 6 year old GSD, otherwise in good health, except for occasional hot spots. She's had a few bouts with those recently, when it changed from summer to fall and from fall to winter weathers.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Swanny1790

Re: Tired and losing weight

Post by Swanny1790 »

Delta has been home how long? It seems like a around 6 weeks to a couple of months but I'm not always good at tracking time.

Increased exercise and activity without a corresponding increase in rations would certainly account for her weight loss over that period of time. Playing with a puppy is HARD work - it leaves me tired, so no doubt it leaves Opal tired as well. It's a good sort of tired, so I hope you aren't TOO worried about it.

I'd suggest a general wellness examination. Perhaps a thyroid screen. A typical veterinary CBC will determine whether she is anemic or if other metabolic issues need to be pursued.

Based on your description, it sounds like Opal is responding appropriately to the increased activity of puppy-sitting.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Erica

Post by Erica »

He's been home about 3 months, over which time Opal's lost about 10 pounds.

Since I posted, we've switched her from Taste of the Wild to Merricks - Merricks has several recipes with higher calories than TotW. Hopefully the richer food will help her keep weight on. I think my dad mentioned he's been feeding her lunch as well.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

From the vet side of things, beside a good physical exam - thyroid, serum chemistry, urinalysis, and/or a CBC. For me, CBC would depend on what I found on the physical.