Eating poo

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Eating poo

Post by delladooo »

Help???

I know dogs have been known to eat poo but never experienced it. MiMi is eating her own poo as soon as she's done it and I suspect she'd eat Laufey's poo if she could (he still will only go when out). Is this nutritional (she's been on a raw diet since coming to us and her poo - when I see it - looks good) or is this a behaviour thing? Either way any advice on stopping it?? Puts you right off your breakfast
maryandchili

Re: Eating poo

Post by maryandchili »

Hello,
I had the same experience with my boy when I first got him. The shelter had him on the Science Diet dog food. I switched his dog food, but that didn't change the behavior. What worked for me is diligently picking up after him as soon as he went and following him around at the dog park. It also helped that I had him on a set walking schedule so he only pooped when we went on leashed walks. He was crated When I wasn't home, and thankfully he never pooped in his crate (most dogs don't go to the bathroom where they sleep). I am sure you have done enough research on this (because I was obsessed with the topic once I got over how icky I thought it was!) so you probably know of adding pineapple or other commercially marketed poop deterrents to their food. I don't have experience with this method, but I know people who haven't had much luck with it ...especially if your dog has access to other dogs' poop.

It sounds like you have Mimi on a nutritious diet (though I am not well versed on raw diet for dogs) but lack of necessary nutrients in the dog's diet is what kept popping up as a big reason for this behavior. I know many people whose dogs like to sneak one in every now and then, so I think this is a very common thing. Watching my dog closely, having him on a set schedule and crate training him is what worked for me. I know how frustrating this can be and I wish you all the best!!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

It does seem quite common doesn't it!

We're currently tweaking her diet due to another issue so I might try adding some pineapple; I haven't because like you said there's was mixed reactions. she doesn't seem to eat others poo, just her own, so it could help. She isn't currently on a set walking schedule, just accompanying my other dog on whichever of his walks is most convenient that day, although she only goes once or twice a day.

We do attempt to pick it up immediately but, as you no doubt found, it's best still warm and when they think you're going to take it :roll: some days she poops, turns, eats whilst others she completely ignores it. I'm hoping not letting her do it, and time, will make her grow out of it
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Take her out to potty on a lead and then she can't. Reward immediately she has finished, with something really yummy. This way you build a new behaviour (poop and come to you for a treat) instead of being just behind the action with an unwanted behaviour.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

We haven't tried on lead (seems pointless in our tiny yard) but do reward immediately which definitely seems to help, she also seems slightly less inclined if Laufey is out on a walk so it's just her although I don't quite understand why because he has no desire to go near her poop, in fact he only goes in the yard to eat :roll:
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

It could be a digestive problem. You might try feeding a probiotic. It may be the food. It wouldn't hurt to try a change of diet. And, like mentioned above it is best to clean up after the dog as soon as it eliminates. Also, stay close to the dog when it goes out, call it to you and give it a reward after elimination. Giving the dog a positive reason for not eating the poo.