Vaccines

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Vaccines

Post by delladooo »

Not sure if anyone can help me but a quick question on vaccines for MiMi

She's 15 weeks and not had any vaccs. We went to the vets for a general health check today and I mentioned nosodes. The vet was under the impression that they do not work nearly as well and the vaccine is very safe (gave me a leaflet from the company who makes it) and it seems most places around me won't take nosodes for vaccinated. As much as I would love to try it, mum thinks that puppy vaccs are the way forward and we never boost or give KC anyway. But, in the last year the vaccine has changed and it's now 3 shots with them going out but not fully protected after 2. My question, I suppose, is do you have to get all 3 in general and specifically for MiMi as she'll be 16 weeks so the vaccine shouldn't be fighting her immunity from mum, or does it not work like that?
I'm obviously going to ask the vet and I'll possibly ring them to make a vac appointment tomorrow as their socilisation classes have a starting age cap of 16 weeks and whilst they weren't perfect they are about the best / only fit for what I'm looking for currently :?
Nettle

Re: Vaccines

Post by Nettle »

We cannot advise because even vets don't know! Modern research indicates that if you give her puppy vaccs now, and titre test in six months, she should be safe but WE cannot say that. Every dog is different, some vaccines don't work, some dogs don't put up immunity. Nosodes are very complicated to give and I, who am all in favour of natural remedies, do think that initial vaccination is preferable but that is only my opinion. There is loads of research out there. I suggest you check out some holistic vet sites as these are the people who are on the ball. Vets in UK by law have to recommend what the vaccine manufacturer tells them, regardless of whether or not it is in the interests of the animal.

As for do you don't you take her out - no right answer either. I do, but I live in an area where these diseases are uncommon. You could ring round other surgeries and ask them how many cases of X Y or Z they have seen this year. Tell them you are doing a project :wink: then it won't seem so confrontational.

Also have a chat with the breeder.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Also, be wary of relying on the weight of research that you find in the internet. I found that although I came across an enormous number of reports suggesting that vaccinations are unnecessary and risky, the majority of them led back to a single authority. That doesn't make them wrong, of course - it's just that some opinions are more likely than others to become spread far and wide across cyberspace.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nettle wrote:We cannot advise because even vets don't know! Modern research indicates that if you give her puppy vaccs now, and titre test in six months, she should be safe but WE cannot say that. Every dog is different, some vaccines don't work, some dogs don't put up immunity. Nosodes are very complicated to give and I, who am all in favour of natural remedies, do think that initial vaccination is preferable but that is only my opinion. There is loads of research out there. I suggest you check out some holistic vet sites as these are the people who are on the ball. Vets in UK by law have to recommend what the vaccine manufacturer tells them, regardless of whether or not it is in the interests of the animal.

As for do you don't you take her out - no right answer either. I do, but I live in an area where these diseases are uncommon. You could ring round other surgeries and ask them how many cases of X Y or Z they have seen this year. Tell them you are doing a project :wink: then it won't seem so confrontational.

Also have a chat with the breeder.
Ahh thanks Nettle, I do like the idea of nosodes but couldn't find much to say give x amount for y days when your dog weighs z. As well, we've always given puppy vaccs but no boosters. I've looked through some holistic vet sites but there doesn't seem to be unbiased information anywhere on the web; everything seems to be "vaccs are the work of the devil" or "vaccs are the best thing in the world" which doesn't help much either way. Her breeder (I believe) vaccinated her parents and is in favour of puppy vaccs but isn't necessarily relevant to our area. We're likely to end up with puppy vaccs but I might ask when I ring them if they have to give all 3 shots or if we can go with one and then test later.
JudyN wrote:Also, be wary of relying on the weight of research that you find in the internet. I found that although I came across an enormous number of reports suggesting that vaccinations are unnecessary and risky, the majority of them led back to a single authority. That doesn't make them wrong, of course - it's just that some opinions are more likely than others to become spread far and wide across cyberspace.
I definitely agree there Judy, there doesn't seem to be much impartial advice as there's not much research and a lot of the public opinion is based on personal experience. I read of one case where a lady thinks the vaccs harmed a litter of 7 puppies and the only one not affected was the one who they wouldn't vacc because it was slightly poorly. It's hard to know what to believe. :shock:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

delladooo wrote:I definitely agree there Judy, there doesn't seem to be much impartial advice as there's not much research and a lot of the public opinion is based on personal experience. I read of one case where a lady thinks the vaccs harmed a litter of 7 puppies and the only one not affected was the one who they wouldn't vacc because it was slightly poorly. It's hard to know what to believe. :shock:
It does your head in, doesn't it? In the end I was swayed mainly by the fact that my vet had rarely, possibly never, seen a serious reaction or side-effect to vaccination, but had frequently seen the effects of non-vaccination. But of course if there are long-term risks like an increased susceptibility to cancer, he wouldn't have made the link.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

This is my concern at present, my vet thinks there is no connection because, for example, cancer and vaccines and was willing to send me materials to read to that effect. She's also on the younger side so (I assume) has more recent developments as her core education. Although our entire practice seems good with newer developments which is a good sign :D I think the sheer number of dogs we encounter daily means she definitely needs something to begin with :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Check out holistic vets Chris Day, Nick Thompson, Richard Allport, Mark Elliott. These are top of the league. There are others but these will give you a start.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Tandra

Post by Tandra »

Vaccines MiMi is good to prevent diseases that may occurred for this virus. On your post you said you you gave her vaccines after 15 weeks. I remain that is not key. If we give vaccine at the firs time then that will be good. Thanks.