Painful poo

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

Painful poo

Post by katej215 »

Just wondering if those of you who feed raw bone have ever had problems with your dogs having a painful poop? Apparently OH said that Hattie was straining to poo tonight and when it finally came out she cried out in pain.. :( ( then apparently ran in and hid under the table in fright) apparently the poo was hard ( as you'd expect) , her bottom looks fine from what I can see?

I am assuming there has been a bit of un chewed bone that has hurt her coming out...? anything I should be worried about? She has had liver for 2 nights and then Sunday nights dinner was pork ribs...lots of bone and not much meat I guess...( tho is it surprising she's passing Sunday night dinner or Monday night..doesn't food normally take longer to digest?)...also does anyone think it's risky to feed such cuts with high bone to meat ratio? Obviously she does get variety, with other cuts having more meat than bone..

Would be grateful for any thoughts :?
JudyN

Re: Painful poo

Post by JudyN »

Jasper occasionally has painful poos. Sometimes I can see bits of bone in them, sometimes they are hard and 'gravelly', with tiny bits of bone, sometimes they just seem to be quite large. He's not great at digesting bone, and he's capable of doing an over-firm one in the morning and a sloppy one in the afternoon, which means it's difficult to know if I should be adjusting his diet. But I still feel the benefits of raw feeding & giving whole bone as opposed to just mince compensate for the occasional painful poo.

It could be that the liver sped things along too much so the pork rib didn't get digested properly - you might be better off not giving a load of liver at one time but give a little with each meal. But it might just be 'one of those things' - I'm trying to avoid tmi here but people, too, have variable poos and some days you're wondering quite what happened as you don't remember having a vindaloo and 3 pints of fizzy lager the night before, whereas other days you need to reach for the prune juice :shock:

I'd keep an eye on the consistency of her poo - you can knead it through the poo bag so you can assess firmness and feel for bits of bone.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Agree with Judy. Maybe feed meatier bones. The long trip through the digestive system will have had a cleaning effect, and her anal glands will have had a workout too, but you don't want this every single day. More veg might help.

Judy I love your lager/vindaloo description :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Nettle wrote:Judy I love your lager/vindaloo description
I know...I was reading out Judy's reply to OH this morning whilst he was eating his porridge :lol:

Thanks for the input both...I was only saying to OH the other day that maybe we shouldn't be giving her so much liver in one go...as we can go from black runny poo to chalky and dry in the space of a day..I wonder if that's putting pressure on her digestive system...I guess because she's only small she doesn't need that much food, so I have just got into the habit of feeding one thing at a time...but it does make sense to feed a mixture at leastfor a couple of meals a week...

She hasn't had any vege for about 10 days ( tho she does get apple most days as training treats)...so yes, will cook up some for her today.

A couple of times recently she's been REALLY straining and then the poo which has come out has been very soft? :?

Anyway today's poop was text book perfect with no problems passing, so we will try some daily variation and hold off on the ribs for a while and see if that helps :D