Shuddering when stroked

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Shuddering when stroked

Post by JudyN »

This is something that's been mentioned a couple of times on the forum but I can't find it (might have been in the original chat thread that got corrupted). Sometimes, when I stroke/massage Jasper his muscles will shiver/shudder. I think this is a sign of some muscular problem, but could anyone give me any more details, please? How diagnostically useful can it be? For instance, if it happens when I'm not aware there is any problem should I take any action, or look for any other underlying issue?

He's been doing it a bit since chasing a deer last week but significantly more since the pet shop owner squirted flea treatment down his upper back - I'm wondering if he tensed up hard, thinking that he was having spinal surgery :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Shuddering when stroked

Post by Nettle »

My dogs see a chiropractor every 6-8 weeks. Often when she runs a hand down a back, a dog will shudder her skin. This means work needs to be done. Sometimes the problem is soft tissue and will right itself (though I do massage these) sometimes there is an actual structural issue which needs treatment.

Some flea treatments apparantly sting - just the thing on a tweaky back :lol: lurchers being much more sensitive than many other types.

I'd give him some arnica :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sigh

Thanks - I do wish I could find someone to tweak him, but the physio who did a home visit a while back had a hard time examining him and even when he did let her touch him he was very anxious and tense :?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I went to the vet about this today - a decent dog chiropractor would insist on permission from a vet so it was the obvious place to start. As well as the shuddering, he was developing more 'sweet spots' which set him off scratching when I rubbed them. The vet doesn't think it's muscular, but puts it down to oversensitivity set off by insect bites, irritation from running through the grass, and the like. Which does tie in with the fleas we've had, and the proliferation of assorted bitey insects we've had as a result of the warm summer.

I had been thinking Jasper's skin on his tummy looked a bit pink, though not rashy and angry, so that may well be part of it. I'll try washing him down with water & lavender oil after walks - though he hasn't been scratching at all and doesn't seem uncomfortable.

I asked about the benefits of chiropractic, and the vet has nothing against it, but is concerned that doing chiro on a dog who is really tense and anxious could do more harm than good, so I'm going to hold off that idea until/unless I see clear signs of stiffness and so on - he seems to be moving fine at the moment.

BTW, I was feeding Jasper liver cake while we were talking, and halfway through the consultation, Jasper lay down, then lay flat out on the floor. He looked relaxed, but I'm sure he wasn't - I wonder if he'd sort of shut down with the stress, and gone into conditioned helplessness mode? Then again, he was quite hot & bothered so maybe it was because the floor was cool.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't use lavender oil every day as it sometimes creates a sensitivity, and that stuff is too useful for a dog to become sensitised to it. A dilution of cider vinegar might be better. But, you know, I bet it is all down to the fleas/flea treatment and might settle down on its own.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

OK, thanks :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

He's come up in a rash today - he usually has a few pimples on his underside which I put down to a reaction to running through long grass or gorse, but it's flared up a bit. He went running after a deer through a long-grassed swampy area on Monday which may well have set it off. This is after a wipe-down:

It's worst on his chest, but there are some spots all the way down to his bum, and also what looks like a bit of hair thinning & pinkish skin on his throat just below his collar. I found a 'calming tea tree spray' for itchy skin in dogs in the cupboard (well beyond its expiry date). I knew Jasper wouldn't appreciate having it sprayed on, so I poured it into a bowl, diluted it, and wiped it on with a cloth, which he loved - he was lifting his upper leg so I could get into his armpits :lol: It's scary how much dirt won't come off :oops: Some seems to be ingrained, I reckon where he's had spots & scratches and rubbed them in the dirt in the past.

He's not fretting at all, but does seem quieter than usual.

I'm guessing carrying on with soothing wipes, or even just plain water, is the way to go, and maybe keep away from long grass when it's looking like this. But he's a dog made for heathland, really, and I reckon he'd rather put up with a few pimples than be limited to the woods or the park.
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

That could be chiggers and tea tree oil is good for the skin, so that might be a good thing to keep up whatever it is. You say he was treated for fleas. Does he have fleas? That could be a whole different problem. I use diatomaeous earth for fleas on the dogs and the vet has a flea treatment for the house that seems to work well. (as well as anything!)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We don't get chiggers in the UK, though we get harvest mites which are similar. I haven't seen anything resembling that on him though. I also think he'd be showing more signs of itching - he really doesn't do stoic! He did have a couple of fleas a few weeks back (the cat had considerably more) but the cat's been treated, and I've used diatomaceous earth on carpets, pet beds, and so on. I'm pretty sure that Jasper hasn't any fleas now - as you can see his coat is pretty thin, and I've been through it with a nit comb.

ETA: Though having read that just one flea bite can cause a reaction like this, I don't think I should rule out flea allergy :?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Looks like nettles to me. :) That's how my dogs come up when they've been nettled.

Got any aloe vera gel? That's very soothing.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think nettles is unlikely, as there aren't any large clumps in the places he tends to go. Someone on another forum said their dog get like this if he's been running through reedy areas, and that seems much more likely - there's a few swampy reedy areas he likes to hunt (unsuccessfully :wink: ) in.

I'll try to get some aloe vera gel today.