Gunky eyes.

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Gunky eyes.

Post by bendog »

Charlies had really gunky eyes for a couple of days. I'll try and get a vet appointment early next week if they don't clear up.

I've been wiping the gunk out, but anything I can do to help, or any ideas about causes (e.g. diet etc?)
Nettle

Re: Gunky eyes.

Post by Nettle »

My vet recommends Optrex. Seriously.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I have not had this issue with Piper, but my cats sometimes get goopy eyes, and I wipe them gently with a cotton ball soaked in a mild, warm salt water solution and it always clears up in a day or two. If it didn't, they would be off to the vets, but so far, so good. :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Possible causes - lots - the very worst would be distemper but DON'T PANIC as this is highly highly unlikely. Just sayin' because others may be reading.

Most probably dust, pollen or other irritant in eyes, or from pushing through undergrowth. Possibly a kennel cough type infection.

I use the cold tea/salt combo for washing out eyes, but as I said earlier - Optrex is fine too. My vet will never be a rich man because he will recommend something like that rather than make money prescribing a drug. That's integrity.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Would you use the Optrex in a solution, Nettle, or as drops? Jasper has a slightly gunky eye at the moment (if he or I wipe the gunk off it's fine till the next day) and I need to nip it in the bud before it becomes a full-blown infection because there's no way I'd be able to get regular eye drops in there. At the mo it's not bothering him & he's not rubbing it at all.

Also, there seem to be 10 different varieties of Optrex and also an eye wash :shock: Do you know which would be best? (One is intended for bacterial infections but might not be any use for dogs' eye infections.)
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

I've only ever known Optrex as an eye wash :O what is all the other stuff?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How things change! Last time I looked at some (years ago! :lol: ) there was only eyewash (must be made by the government).

I would only use it as something to make a clean cloth/paper wet and wipe eyes out. Wipe towards the inner corner and nose for anyone who wants to know.