Pawz dog boots

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Pawz dog boots

Post by JudyN »

I stumbled across Pawz dog boots as I was wandering round the internet just now, and wondered if they would be a useful item to keep in for those occasions when Jasper hurt a paw and I wanted to keep it dry & clean. What do you think? I don't suppose they'd last very long, but then again I can't see any dog boot lasting very long.

Reviews are mixed from 'fantastic, easy to put on, last for ages and my dog loved them' to 'absolute rubbish, split after 5 mins, difficult to get on and were so tight my dog's paw fell off', but that's generally the way on Amazon :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Pawz dog boots

Post by Nettle »

I've tried various sorts and they have never worked for me and mine, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't work on another dog. For short outings of a bathroom nature, I get a supply of IV bags from the vet, and for longer outings I use horse bandage called vetwrap which is expensive but easy to put on and take off. If an open wound, I put a wad of someting over the wound first.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
PHOENIX

Post by PHOENIX »

Hi Judy,

I had the Pawtective boots for Ringo. I would use them when he would lick his paws due to allergies.

Only use the boots when Jasper goes out or when you cannot supervise him while he is inside (your need for sleep, etc.). The boots should be off the feet / paws as much as possible to allow oxygen to circulate. You don't want a secondary infection setting in due to the lack of oxygen or the moisture that will collect as a result of the boots.

It's a fine balancing act. You need the boots to protect the feet / paws from incessant licking, and you need to remove them as much as possible, but then you have to keep vigilant. Some dogs can be very quiet, and very sneaky, about liking their feet or paws. And it doesn't take much for that soft little pink tongue to do a lot of damage.

If Jasper has any broken skin between his toes, make sure the skin is kept dry to keep it from "sticking" and to reduce his urge to lick becuase it is uncomfortable or painful.

If Jasper has licked the fur from between his toes / pads, try some cornstarch to absorb the moisture and to prevent the skin from sticking.

Before I bought boots for Ringo, I used to put an old pair of socks on him and secure them above his wrist or ankle. He was really good about wearing his socks, and wore them during allergy outbreaks for several years. I came home on day and he let me know he had had enough of the socks. All of them had been chewed.

Thankfully, he never chewed his boots.

Ringo's dad
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

I had a pack of red ones once, and because Oreo's feet are white, they were tinged an interesting shade of red after she sweats through her paw pads. I didn't like the way it was colouring her paws and hate it even more when she started licking her paws after that. I like Nettle's idea of just using vet wrap. I believe a cheaper human version can be found at the pharmacy, just ask for cohesive bandages. The 3M one is called Coban Wrap I think
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thanks for the suggestions :D

I have Vetwrap, but it takes a while to put on, and as it has to be quite tight to stay on, Jasper hates it as he thinks he can't walk with it :roll: That also means I have to work really hard at distracting him so he doesn't get all snarky when I put it on.

Maybe I'll just have to try the Pawz boots and see if they work for us. I don't like the idea of the colour oozing out though!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jjrick85

Post by jjrick85 »

Not sure if you are still in the market for feedback, but the boots do work quite well. Dogs love them because they allow the dogs to feel the ground, and while they aren't insulated, they take most of the effect of extreme cold and salt away so your dog can go on relatively long walks comfortably. In terms of how long they last, it really does depend on the dog (things like length of nails, and how fast they run in them), but overall, given that they are deemed as "disposable" and are priced accordingly, they should hold up very well. Lastly, you mentioned feedback from some that they can be a bit difficult to get on. While that can be true, with a bit of practice people usually figure it out. There is even a product on the market called Paws Jawz, that is inexpensive and allows you to easily get the boots on with only one hand in no time (video on website). I hope this helps.