ear infections

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mydog99

ear infections

Post by mydog99 »

hi
my dog has had many ear infections. I read that ear infections can be a sign of low thyroid. he has a thryoid test and it was normal. I read on the internet that some vets do not test thyroid correctly and the dog is actually low for its breed and it is ok by the vets. anyone have experience with this? should I retest my dog for thyroid?
JudyN

Re: ear infections

Post by JudyN »

What breed is your dog?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
mydog99

Post by mydog99 »

a sheltie
gwd

Post by gwd »

by 'many' how often are we talking about? if there have been several in a year i'd guess that it's not really many infections, but the same one that never really cleared and keeps flaring up.

i have a springer and they are known for icky ears. i had one that i had a hellva time clearing. we put him on Ketoconazole for a 30 day cycle. ……..and panalog twice a day in the ears. the first day I was cleaning the ears about 10 min or so before the panalog………when it started to get under control (after day 10) I only cleaned the ears prior to the evening panalog ointment.

i keep the ears up by weekly cleaning. 2 years later and he still has sparkling clean ears.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

One or both ears?

Have the ears had an internal examination in case of foreign bodies?

What treatment has he had so far?

Has he any other medical condition?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mydog99

Post by mydog99 »

since the dog was little, he has had about 12 year infections, I take him to the vet and they give a cream and benadryl. the vet thinks allergies. then it will clear up and return in a few weeks. do you think a raw diet would be helpful?
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

mydog99 wrote:since the dog was little, he has had about 12 year infections, I take him to the vet and they give a cream and benadryl. the vet thinks allergies. then it will clear up and return in a few weeks. do you think a raw diet would be helpful?
If it's allergies, a raw diet may help! It certainly did for my Oreo, who was introduced to a raw diet by her vet when she first diagnosed Oreo with allergy problems. =) Is your vet ok with raw?

Oreo first had an ear infection when she was a wee little 14 week old, before she even completed all her puppy shots. But what recurred most for her was eye infections. I have found a little ACV helps (if your dog is not allergic to it, that is!)
mydog99

Post by mydog99 »

what kind of raw diet do you feed?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

One or both ears?

mydog99

Post by mydog99 »

moslty one but has been both a few times
thanks
mydog99

Post by mydog99 »

my vet does not like the idea of a raw diet, I don't know why, are the packed raw diets ok to try? also what can I give a dog raw? chicken? beef? ground beef?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Many vets are mortified if the idea of "people food" let alone a raw diet is brought up. Chicken is always a good place to start. We have many informative threads on raw feeding in this section (Health, Diet and Exercise) section of the forum.
--dontpugme
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

When the ear infections are in both ears, is it both ears together or one at a time?

There is a purpose to my questions :) the answers will help isolate the cause - and until we have found the cause, we can't go on to find the cures.

Has your vet offered an opinion on the cause?

mydog99

Post by mydog99 »

both ears at the same time,
thanks
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

mydog99 wrote:moslty one but has been both a few times
thanks
So is it both at the same time, or mostly only one?