Quorn

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Quorn

Post by JudyN »

Waitrose delivered me two boxes of chicken style Quorn burgers by mistake :roll: I tried one last night and the thought of having to eat seven more of them isn't piquing my appetite :lol: Is there any reason why I shouldn't chop them up and use them as training treats for Jasper? Not in large quantities at one time, of course, just occasionally to ring the changes.
Last edited by JudyN on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Quorn

Post by Nettle »

Burn them. :twisted: surely you love your dog more than that? I wouldn't put it on the garden, never mind feed it to my dog. :mrgreen:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a confession... I like Quorn ham :oops: Though I was veggie for about 20 years and even before that couldn't stand the slightest bit of fat or gristle, so I'm not really a 'proper' meat eater anyway.

I can't think of any other Quorn products I like though. Vegetarian food that tries hard to imitate meat is almost bound to fail. Give me a good veg curry or lentil chilli any day rather than something made out of a 'veggie substitute'.

I still reckon Jasper would enjoy them though... along with the veggie curry and lentil chilli, come to that.... :mrgreen:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Okay, I had to look 'quorn' up since I'd never heard of it before. Here's what I found on Wikipedia:
"Quorn is the leading brand of mock meat mycoprotein in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from the fungus Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large vats." Mmmm, now that sounds tasty! :lol:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

It seems I am in the minority...but I like Quorn! Dont like normal sausages as hate the texture and tohught of what they are made of (like you Judy I cant bear the tiniest bit of fat or gristle and it makes me feel sick), but really like Quorn sausages!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

From the description Suzette posted of Quorn, YUCK! Give me and my dog real meat anytime!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

Quorn burgers have onion in them iirc so from a technical standpoint, no. Not good for dogs. Plain corn still contains the mystical mycoprotein. It is derived from a micro-organism called fusarium venenatum which is debatably gastrotoxic.
This is a debate I wouldn't want to get into on this forum but personally I would never eat quorn, therefore my dogs wont either.
Noradrenergic

Post by Noradrenergic »

Suzette wrote:Okay, I had to look 'quorn' up since I'd never heard of it before. Here's what I found on Wikipedia:
"Quorn is the leading brand of mock meat mycoprotein in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from the fungus Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large vats." Mmmm, now that sounds tasty! :lol:
Yet you eat dead animal carcasses, probably eat cheese which is also made in vats and coated in fungi, and probably eat salmonella drenched chicken. I'll stick with the mycoprotein, thanks!

I have a biology background (BSc majoring in biological sciences) and have eaten Quorn for years. It is absolutely fine, and my dog doesn't have any negative symptoms after having some of the leftovers.
Noradrenergic

Post by Noradrenergic »

easilyconfused wrote:Quorn burgers have onion in them iirc so from a technical standpoint, no. Not good for dogs. Plain corn still contains the mystical mycoprotein. It is derived from a micro-organism called fusarium venenatum which is debatably gastrotoxic.
This is a debate I wouldn't want to get into on this forum but personally I would never eat quorn, therefore my dogs wont either.
No, Quorn does not have onion in it. And no, fusarium venenatum is not "debatably gastrotoxic". I urge people to provide reference to peer-reviewed publications to back up their claims in future, it sucks that others are probably put off eating a perfectly healthy food due to reading misinformed comments like this one.