Overweight Border Terrier

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Overweight Border Terrier

Post by bendog »

My dog is about 10kg/22lbs which I think is very overweight for a Border Terrier.
He's 8 years and 9 months old, is it just age?

I feed him on Pedigree kibble which I know isn't great but its easy. He gets about 100g a day split into two meals, one in his Kong for breakfast and one in his bowl at night and the rest throughout the day as training treats. In his breakfast Kong he has a tiny bit of cheese or peanut butter at the bottom, and sometimes I'll give him a bit of carrot or cucumber or apple to chew on in the day.

On Sundays instead of his evening meal he gets leftovers (carrot, chicken and boiled potato).

He gets no other treats but is a terrible scavenger so any bits of food dropped by the toddler, or thrown out for the guinea pigs or the birds he is likely to try and eat.

He gets 3 walks a day totalling about an hour altogether, longer at weekends. Plus we take a ball on walks for him to chase, and play fetch and tug of war in the house or football in the garden for about 20 minutes a day so he's getting plenty of exercise. But he does sleep most of the time when he's not playing.
I just can't shift the weight off him.

I'm planning to take him for a full vet check up soon. But should I also switch him to "Diet" food or something?
He's a great dog, but I think he'd be much healthier and happier if he lost a bit of weight.
Sarah83

Re: Overweight Border Terrier

Post by Sarah83 »

I'd switch him to something other than Pedigree if possible. It's a cr*p food. If you let us know what country you're in I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a reasonably priced but decent food. If you're following the feeding guide on the tin/bag then be aware they tend to over estimate what most dogs need by quite a bit. If he's fat and there's nothing physically wrong with him then simply reduce how much you're feeding. Given his age I'd recommend getting his thyroid checked and getting bloodwork done for his other organs before just assuming he's eating too much though.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You need to cut his food down, which includes keeping him away from toddler mealtimes, any 'kind' people who will give him titbits, and away from the guinea pig food. Commit to that, put less food in his bowl, and you'll be pleased to see the weight coming down.

As a guide - we have a border/lakeland cross, and she has ONE heaped tablespoonful of food a day. And a terrific figure.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thanks, I'll try and get better quality food, and feed less.
Toddler mealtimes may be an issue still as I can't always be there, but I'll try, and working on "leave" with him as well so hopefully he won't pinch titbits off the floor as much. Unfortunately people tend to use him as a hoover when they drop food its "oh, the dog will get it" instead of picking it up!

He's a very food motivated dog but I'm trying to use his ball and verbal praise more than food treats as much too when we are training.

One other question....obviously the weight loss won't happen overnight. What kind of timescale should I expect him to lose 6 or 7 pounds over? I know no-one can give me an exact answer to this. But I'd like an idea, like a pound a week or something? I don't want him to be starving and drop weight too fast if its not healthy (like crash dieting in people!)
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Border Terriers are notoriously greedy dogs. They will eat anything and everything, I come out in sympathy as I have two myself. Personally for me, I think the breed standard weight for these dogs (as defined in the KC is too low or should I say doesn't take into account all shapes and sizes). My b*tch is quite petite, she's had a litter so she has a naturally rounded tummy. She was over 9kg when she came to me but she's lost weight now and looks great. My dog is quite 'leggy'. His dad has been known to throw larger than average BT's (alot of them don't do too well in the show ring) so to expect him to be the breed standard weight is pretty impossible really as its just him. He weights around 8-9kg I think but he is muscular and has a waist. When you say he is overweight, does he have a very rounded girth? I have a friend who has two borders. Both weigh 10kg but to look at them they are solid muscular dogs. They were neutered early and I know sometimes it is said that these dogs can be bigger. I always go by look and feel. Can you just about feel your dogs ribs but not see them? Or can you feel nothing when you run your hands over? I can just about feel Archie's ribs, you could say he needs to lose a bit but I can just about fit my fingers around his waist so I'm happy with the way he is.

If your dog does need to lose weight then I would be very strict about treats. A crust or two of bread can easily add up and cheese and peanut butter are quite fatty too. If you want you dog to have more for less then consider a 'light' food. But be strict! Hard I know, when I put my b*tch on a diet, she looked at me as if I was starving her to death. If you want to feed dried food, you might conisder soaking it first.. A little swells up to alot and its surprising how much is in the bowl when its hydrated. There are some good foods out there, and like the others have said, Pedigree would not be my first choice.

Your dog certainly sounds no couch potato, so it might be age, in which case just cut down his food a little and feed him things like raw carrots in between for treats. Good luck!
bendog

Post by bendog »

I was hoping to have a positive update for this, and I kind of have. But maybe not as much progress as I'd like.

Ben looks a heck of a lot better since I switched to grain free. He gets a lot less food but a lot more carrots and apples etc. I am still too soft and give him kibble as treats during the day when I am around, so some days he eats a lot more than others, because when I'm training either of the other two dogs, he gets upset if he doesn't have some too - but if I remember I sometimes cut up cucumber to use as training treats for him, whilst I work with the others.

He got stripped recently and the woman who stripped him says he looks like a different dog, his legs look much longer now he's lost some of his belly!

But I weighed him and he's still 20lbs (9kg), so he's only lost 2lbs in 3 months.

I can feel his ribs now when I couldn't before (though can't see them) and he has more of a waist. He's very active despite the fact he'll be 9 in January, and looks more muscular than ever so should I not worry too much about what the scales tell me and the fact that he's probably a little bit heavy? I think the fact that he was castrated when he was about 5 was partly what caused him to gain weight in the first place, so I can't expect him to be in the same shape at 9 as he was as a 3 year old can I?

For comparison - this is him when he was heaviest.

And this is now
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I think he looks great Bendog, 1kg is 10% of his original body weight which seems like a good achievment in only 3 months :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Helen2009 wrote: Personally for me, I think the breed standard weight for these dogs (as defined in the KC is too low or should I say doesn't take into account all shapes and sizes).
I think the same about several breeds, Chis are supposed to be 2 to 6 lbs, Teds headed to 6lbs now and he's neither fat or large for a chi I would say. So I'd go more on how Ben looks and feels, but I'd still go with better quality food/raw from what I understand raw/higher quality food fed dogs stay active longer typically. And I wouldn't worry about how quickly, he's headed in the right direction at a nice pace so just keep going, when you move it will become even easier :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

He looks MUCH better :D

Well done - I know how hard it is to diet our dogs when we long to feeeeeeeed them so much.

Keep on as you have been going and get the last few pounds off. It will prolong his life, so every time it seems too much to keep on with, think of that.

Don't take any notice of weights in books, breed standards, whatever - feed the dog in front of you.

bendog

Post by bendog »

Yep, thanks guys. I think he looks much better, boyfriend moans he's too skinny now! I'll certainly never let him get so overweight again, he's much happier now, and doesn't snore! It would be easier if he wasn't such a guzzle guts - he'll eat anything thats offered, whether he's hungry or not, and is always wanting more! However he's just as happy with a chunk of cucumber as he is with a chunk of cheese so thats one bonus.

I've lost a few pounds myself, which is less good because I'm climbing Kilimanjaro next September and am supposed to be bulking up a bit! Oops!
Although I'm sure I'll manage to rectify that over Christmas! :wink:
bendog

Post by bendog »

Just taken Ben to the vet for a check up and he's spot on apparently.

Weighs 8.2kg (18 lbs) on vet scales, though to be honest the vet didn't weigh him, just felt along his body and said he's in great condition and I weighed him for curiosities sake!

Was very impressed with the vet to be honest. Not been to the vets for 5 years(!) as boyfriends parents take Sash and Pop and Ben hasn't needed to go.
He said Bens got good heart beat, nice thick coat, good movement in back legs, he's always had a little bit of eye gunk which is nothing to worry about, no sign of cataracts or anything. Theres a bit of plaque on his teeth but not enough to warrant the vet cleaning. He asked about vaccinations and I said he hasn't had any in 5 years, and vet confirmed what I've read here that usually the puppy jabs are enough for lifetime cover and the only one to consider is Leptospirosis, so I said I'll think about it (i.e. ask you guys!) whether to have it done or not?

Also didn't have blood tests or thyroid checks done (not sure I can afford it at the moment) so do you guys recommend I do that if I can find the cash for it?
I didn't want him losing any more weight now anyway, but good to hear he's in good shape for his age.

I've also started him on Dorwest Garlic and Fenugreek tablets, just one a day, and it says they can be useful for skin conditions too so wondered if it might be worth starting Sash on them too?
Is there any provisos to taking them e.g with food, after food etc?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I give the Dorwest G&F after food, but I really don't think it matters.

Well done for the new slimline Ben. :D

Carmie06

Post by Carmie06 »

I don't consider 10kg being over weight
I have had my severely over weight boarder to the vet today and she is 15.5 kg this is BAD I know she needs to loose weight and this is what we are trying to do, has anyone got any good advice on how much dried food should she have per day? Tia
Erica

Post by Erica »

I believe the starting point is 3/4 what you're currently feeding? And consulting with a vet to make sure weight loss isn't too rapid or too slow.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14