Exercise the Mind...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maximoo

Post by maximoo »

To Mum of Horace: Max wld not get intersted in the tug a jug tho I tried many times. He just didn't understand that food will fall out if he jostles it around. Anyway I returned it. I will buy him something else.
I added plain oatmeal to his Kong. It does take him longer to get thru it. Next time I'll add the eggs like Fundog suggested.
Max really loves Cheetos but he only gets very tiny pieces and just once in a while.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hey Maximoo, I made another variation of the oatmeal custard this evening, this time with chicken livers. I bought a pint of chicken livers and put them into a two quart saucepan, bloody and all-- I didn't rinse them. I added a quart of water and some rosemary, sage, and a little garlic. I boiled the livers until they were thoroughly cooked, them removed them with a slotted spoon (I put them onto a plate and cut them up into tiny bits). I added more water, as quite a bit had evaporated away, and brought it back to a boil. I put some of the cut up liver back into the broth (and saved some for treats for later), and also added the oats. I cooked the oats for just one more minute, then removed the heat. I added some bits of carrots and frozen green beans, and let the mixture cool and thicken before stuffing the kongs, bones, and cardboard tubes. I think the girls are going to love it! They stayed in the kitchen with me the whole time I was cooking, and when I sat down to stuff their kongs, they couldn't stand it anymore. I finally had to give them a little bit to taste, and keep them busy so I could finish! They looked at me adoringly-- they think I'm the best mommy they've ever had! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds wonderful, Fundog. :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

bloody chicken livers? EWWW! too GROSS for me! I'm sure Max wld love it but that is just above & beyond. Anyway he likes everything he gets now & since there's no medical reason for him to have chkn liver, I'll skip it. :P
I will make the custard tho. I am in the process of collecting tp rolls, and I need to get more hollow bones. I think I'll chop up hot dog & add frozen veggies then seal it with biscuits & ch whiz or pb across the top. Sounds yummy doesn't it? :wink:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

LOL, maximoo-- I didn't actually handle the bloody livers until they were cooked. They came in a plastic pint container, and I simply dumped it into the pan. I didn't want to handle them bloody either, that's why I didn't rinse them. : P

Speaking of "above and beyond," I saw tripe at the store too-- I'm sure my girls would love it, but I just can't bring myself to handle it. (shudder)

But your concoction does sound like something your dogs will love, too. Isn't it fun to make up these "yummy" treats for them? In some of the tp popsicles, I stuffed a cookie in the middle, for a crunchy surprise. I cap the ends with aluminum foil, to keep the stuff from running out, then remove the foil before giving it to the dogs.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If you want to feed something but don't like the idea of touching it, wear rubber gloves :wink:

I think tripe was invented to test how much we love our dogs. Mine love it, but boy! Does it pong.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Rubber gloves-- oh my gosh, what a concept! (And we just happen to have some for the other unpleasant household tasks). Good on you, Nettle. :lol:
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Hi Fundog: I made the oatmeal concontion, put it in cardboard
tubes, and froze it. I gave him one and he ate the whole thing in 5 mnts! including the cardboard! I said "Max it's a pupsickle you are supposed to lick it" He just licked his chops and seem to say "give me another I'll TRY to lick it" lol....
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Heh, heh, heh... Well, it must have been good then. :D My girls get through them pretty fast too-- but they leave the cardboard. They tear it off, and then gobble up the frozen treat. It doesn't keep them busy for long, but it does redirect their attention so they forget whatever it was they were bugging me about. :lol:
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

i also tried the concoction. It smelled horrible but my dog ate it once we cooled it down. I have tried frozen treats with chicken and broth in them but he didnt like it so i didnt freeze this one. He's lazy so he didnt want to open the cardboard to get the rest of the treat. once i opened it more for him, he ate more of it. Although, he only ate about half of it...
My dog runs, i fall behind. I run, I still fall behind.
(sigh) Dogs.......
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I must have been crazy to think I was the one who made this "concoction" until I read your posts! Except, there are times when I use fresh "road kill," or from game we "the mighty hunters" kill to the other ingredients to make this "concoction."

wvvdiup1
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

SHOW ME
So Max and I play find the treat under the cup/cloth and I thought how could I make it a little harder/different. I had him sniff treat then he had to find it in one of my hands. I put hands behind my back to switch it around. He did pretty well. However many times when I have something to eat he will offer a paw, so I put 2 + 2 together. I put treat in one of my hands and when he offered paw I wanted him to touch the hand with the treat it in, and I called the game "show me" I made it easy at first putting the treat hand closest to his paw. He caught on pretty quickly. So now he has to show me with his paw where the treat is. He's about 90% accurate. It is so cool watching him figure out where it is and using his paw to show me. 8)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Ohhh, that and watching kids go on an Easter egg hunt gave me an idea! The "Sniff and Search" game and the "Show Me" game you've mentioned in your post I took to the "Great Outdoors." I hide my dogs treats throughout my property then I bring them outside, sniff my hands, and say "Go Find!" With all the different scents they encounter outdoors, this makes this a little challenge for them.

wvvdiup1
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I have easter eggs around here somewhere. I like that idea!
when training drug, & search & rescue dogs, the dogs are taught to sit when they find what they were told to. In your easter egg game how does your dog tell you he has found it. Does he just pick it up, does he paw at it/or do you have him sit?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You don't actually need eggs to do this, you just hide your dogs' treats just as you would hide Easter eggs for children (and some adults). :lol:

wvvdiup1