Nutro dog food

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

NicolaLloyd

Nutro dog food

Post by NicolaLloyd »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. :D I have a little dobe puppy called Bruce (4.5 months) and I'm currently fostering my parents lab cross Shadow.

I was just wondering whether any of you had heard of the dog food Nutro? It is an American brand which doesn't seem to be that widely used here in the UK. My findings with it so far have been good. Beautiful shiny coats, clear eyes and plenty of the right kind of energy plus it's reasonably priced and the dogs can't seem to get enough of it!

But i'm no nutritionist so was wondering if any of you knew more about it.

Thanks

Nicola
+Bruce+Shadow
NicolaLloyd

Post by NicolaLloyd »

PS I've just realised how much that sounded like a sales pitch - i can assure you i have no stakes in the company!!! :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Last puppy came to me on that, gave him the squitters something terrible.

Ive heard other people say they get good results from it, and if you are then obviously somethings right there.

The only thing i will say, is know whats right and whats not. So often people tell me the food si fine. But i see a dog who is bouncing off the walls, or a dog with flakey skin, or a smelly dog with bad breath or bad wind, or a dog with soft faeces that smell really bad, or a dog who scoots because his anal glands arent emptying properly as he defecates.....(the list can go on, i wont....)

A LOT of these things, quite amazingly, many people put down to 'its a dog thing', and actually its NOT, very frequently its a poor diet thing. But if the food is full of the right fats and oils and the dog is full of energy peopel SEE a happy healthy bouncy dog, so beware, a shiny coat and a waggy tail do not maen the food is 100% right or good.

Dogs are scavengers, they are evolved to survive on a relatively poor diet, they are also (as are many animals) designed to NOT show outward signs of poor health as a weak or sick animal is often preyed upon.

Em
clairefoster

Post by clairefoster »

Nutro is available to at any Kennelgate outlets I believe our dogs used to use it but we found it was costing us almost £100 per month to feed our 3 on it. We are now using Wainwrights from Pets at Home which is approx £20 for 15kg and I believe it is from the old owner of James Well Beloved who sold out to Pedigree. Even the kibble is the same.
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

Dharma can't have Nutro any more as she's allergic to rice. Not a big fan of their "large breed" foods as they're far too high protein. Some people think large breed dogs need more protein, especially as they're growing up, but it's actually the opposite. Large breeds need lower protein foods so that they grow at a steady, slow pace.

Dharma is currently fed on Dr Johns and chicken wings. I'm looking for a new dry food for her in the long run to eat alongside more "natural" foods, as I've been told that Dr Johns have started using small amounts of rice in their Silver food which would explain her smelly skin. Most of the rice free foods are extortionate though to be honest. When you think a 15kg sack lasts a fortnight, it goes without saying that we need to find an economical one. :lol: :lol:
Boxacrazy

Post by Boxacrazy »

Have you thought of this?
http://www.ld7.co.uk/total_nutrition.html

I feed my 'fussy' girl the Total Nutrition Tripe Dinner
She loves it and does well on it too.