Raw eggs?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MiaRose100907

Raw eggs?

Post by MiaRose100907 »

I have done some reading on the raw diet, and I am still on the fence about it. I think I am going to stick to kibble, but I heard that raw eggs are good for dogs to eat. Now, would this be ok to give my dog if he is not on a regular raw diet? I heard that you should either feed raw or kibble, not both.
I have some eggs and wanted to see if he'd eat one, but I just got over him having diarrhea and do not want it to come back, which is why I'm asking first before I feed :) Thanks!!!
Noobs

Re: Raw eggs?

Post by Noobs »

I am transitioning to full time raw and homecooked. Before this, I used to give my dogs an occasional raw chicken leg. More often I would reduce his kibble to half and add a raw egg. I never noticed any disruption in his "regularity" if you will. So go for it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I used to give my dog a raw egg once in a while until I heard about the salmonella outbreak -what was it, last year or the years before- and decided for the safety and health of my dog, I would just give cooked eggs. I even went as far as cooking chicken parts, whether a chicken leg or a breast, for two or three minutes and letting it cool for a little bit, before giving it to my dog. 8)

I guess when any thing "breaks out" concerning human or animal food and the media broadcasts it, I get a little "freakish" about it, but I'd rather have my dog safe and healthy than very sick or dead! :roll:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

If you partially cook any chicken and give it to your dog, were the pieces boneless? Just to be safe they should be.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

MiaRose100907 wrote:I just got over him having diarrhea and do not want it to come back, which is why I'm asking first before I feed :) Thanks!!!
probably way over my head on this one, but the cautious side of me says if your dog is just getting over something, don't make any changes just yet that you don't absolutely have to. give it a week or two and make sure he is over whatever was causing the diarrhea first.

If you chose to stay with kibble, I would advise (assuming you haven't already) doing a little digging around to be sure your feeding the best kibble you can, that your dog can tolerate and thrive on.

learning more about diet, what to feed (or not to feed), how to feed etc is next on my list for learning, but while your going through the early investigate/learning stages probably doesn't hurt not to rush into anything if you have any question. there are several people here who can guide you and I would bet you they will check in on this thread within the next 24 hours or less and add their advice and experience to your question.
MiaRose100907

Post by MiaRose100907 »

@jacksdad - Yes I just thought of that after I had posted this question. I think I will wait until I am sure he is over this. I feed him Taste of the Wild right now, and he absolutely loves it, and was on it without incident for a few weeks, but for some reason got some diarrhea somehow. He is over it now though, but to be on the safe side I will wait. I had him on Blue Buffalo, and Canidae before this one. He didn't mind the other two brands, but I like this one much better. The ingredients I am much happier with, and he seems to like this brand as well. Although the only downside is that he can either have the Lamb or the Fish ones because the others have too high of a protein %. He's not that active of a dog to need THAT much. I think the other formulas are above 30% and the two he eats are around 24%.

@Noobs - Did you give it to him shell and all? I have heard people doing that. Also, are cooked eggs an option? I heard that if you cook them they lose some of their nutritional value; like scrambling them. That true? :)

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna know as much as I can!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I give him raw or cooked but more often raw. I give I'm shells sometimes but he just licks the egg part out of it and leaves he shell. So to keep things nearer I leave it off now. And sorry yes I agree with jacksdad, wait until he's over the diarrhea. If you stick with kibble make sure you don't overfeed as that sometimes causes soft/runny poos. Whatever the feeding guidelines say is probably way more than the dog needs.
MiaRose100907

Post by MiaRose100907 »

@Noobs - I use the feeding instructions on the bag as guidlines really. I usually use it as a guide for what amount I should not go over. He generally gets 2 cups per day. He was not really on a schedule either, but that is going to change. I work evening shift, so I won't be home until 11pm, so I am thinking of making his feeding times 11am and 11pm. I generally do not go to bed until 1am or 2am and get up around 9am or 10am. Before, I usually just fed him when I noticed he was whining by his bowl and looking at me. This is no kind of schedule and could be contributing to his being over-weight. I don't know why I didn't see this before. :(
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Sorry I don't recall if you mentioned but what breed is your dog?
MiaRose100907

Post by MiaRose100907 »

He's a German Shepherd/Pit Bull. I think :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Raw eggs are fine in moderation - not more than one a day. Some dogs get awful wind on raw eggs. Wait until the stomach is settled before feeding raw eggs.

Cooked eggs are fine in moderation - say two a day. Scrambled eggs can be good for a convalescing dog.

Dog food manufacturers want to sell more dog food and also don't wnat to be sued for underweight dogs, so they detail a generic dog on the packet and feed it too much. Feed the dog in front of you.

Dogs do not need feeding each time they whine and look at you. :wink: Nor do they need a strict schedule. They fit in quite happily with what we want. Most people feed twice daily: I feed once daily but the average pet dog is better for twice daily.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MiaRose100907

Post by MiaRose100907 »

LOL thanks Nettle ;)
I know he doesn't need food every time he whines and looks at me. I just got him 3 months ago so I'm a little unsure about how often they fed him before and I just didn't want him to go hungry. He's definitely going to get some changes lol
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I give Dylan raw eggs sometimes....he loves them! He also just licks the egg out of the shell - never eats the shell. I also give him raw chicken wings sometimes too.....I dont feed either item that often though. I have tried several times to give him raw meaty bones, but they dont agree with him and give him sickness and a dodgy tummy, so I wont be giving him then anymore.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Someone told me that the egg whites should not be fed - something about creating biotin deficiency but to be honest, an egg is an egg and nature's whole creation - so I cannot see what is wrong with feeding a whole egg.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

In Nature's kindly way, she arranges the egg yolk to counteract the biotin-grasping ability of the egg white. So feed whole eggs - it's all taken care of inside the shell.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS