No pull harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kala

No pull harness

Post by Kala »

We've tried the Easy Walk Harness, for two days on Daisy. Nothing but trouble. She got out of it, on one side, so we tighten it up, next day, it was on her and she chewed it in two. Then we saw it chafed on under her arms, tore the skin.

Took that back, what else can we try that won't hurt her? I'm frustrated, and I know it's not her fault...it's ours. :oops: :x
Charlie: Is this really a good plan?
Vik: You came up with it.
Charlie: That's the problem, what do I know?
-Spooks Code 9
delladooo

Re: No pull harness

Post by delladooo »

A lot of people really like the Perfect Fit from doggames (an online shop). I have no personal experience but if I were to get a new harness this is definitely the first one I would try :)
Erica

Post by Erica »

The Perfect Fit doesn't lie across the shoulders like the EasyWalk does, and is padded in soft fleece that will not chafe the skin :) If you're in the USA, CleanRun is an online shop that carries it.

Another option could be the Freedom harness; it does lie more across the shoulders than the Perfect Fit but not as much as the EasyWalk, and the Freedom has velvet covering the belly strap to help prevent chafing. The Freedom is cheaper than the PF, but I much prefer the PF. Both will also be more escape-proof than the EW. Good luck!

In short, the EasyWalk is the least ergonomic and most likely to chafe of the three, and the Perfect Fit is the most ergonomic and least likely to chafe. The Freedom is in the middle.

Whatever you go with, I wouldn't leave it on her unsupervised if she chewed the EW off. It might have been that the EW was uncomfortable, or she might just be one of those dogs that will chew a harness left on her.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Kala

Post by Kala »

Erica wrote:The Perfect Fit doesn't lie across the shoulders like the EasyWalk does, and is padded in soft fleece that will not chafe the skin :) If you're in the USA, CleanRun is an online shop that carries it.

Another option could be the Freedom harness; it does lie more across the shoulders than the Perfect Fit but not as much as the EasyWalk, and the Freedom has velvet covering the belly strap to help prevent chafing. The Freedom is cheaper than the PF, but I much prefer the PF. Both will also be more escape-proof than the EW. Good luck!
I've also heard of WalkYourDogWithLove. Can you get the PF from Amazon? She's a small dog. If you see me post pics on tumblr you can see how tiny chested she is.
-Spooks Code 9
Erica

Post by Erica »

The one you mentioned looks almost the same as the EasyWalk, from my point of view. You can't get the PF from Amazon as far as I know. The ones that come up when you search "perfect fit harness" aren't the one we mean. There's a "tiny" range for dogs like small puppies and chihuahuas, and a small dog range for small dogs. Here's the small dog range on the maker's website. If you're confused about sizing (like I was), you can email CleanRun and they'll help you choose the right size. The one I got for Delta at first was hilariously large, so I emailed them and they figured out what combination was right for him.
Kala

Post by Kala »

Erica wrote:The one you mentioned looks almost the same as the EasyWalk, from my point of view. You can't get the PF from Amazon as far as I know. The ones that come up when you search "perfect fit harness" aren't the one we mean. There's a "tiny" range for dogs like small puppies and chihuahuas, and a small dog range for small dogs. Here's the small dog range on the maker's website. If you're confused about sizing (like I was), you can email CleanRun and they'll help you choose the right size. The one I got for Delta at first was hilariously large, so I emailed them and they figured out what combination was right for him.
I've found it, and it's too expensive for my needs. :(

Woud this one work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWPH1IO/ref ... XBF0&psc=1
-Spooks Code 9
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Personally I'd discount that one because it has a tightening mechanism on it which I can't see as doing anything useful, just causing discomfort. The general front style would probably work okay provided it sat high enough on your dog so as to not affect shoulder movement but that would be dog dependant
Kala

Post by Kala »

delladooo wrote:Personally I'd discount that one because it has a tightening mechanism on it which I can't see as doing anything useful, just causing discomfort. The general front style would probably work okay provided it sat high enough on your dog so as to not affect shoulder movement but that would be dog dependant
Thanks for your advice. We're still trying to figure it out. It's my first dog. We're learning it's very different from having cats!
-Spooks Code 9
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I love the Perfect Fit harness and have it for my own dog, but we use the Freedom one for a couple of dogs at the rescue I volunteer at and its pretty decent in my opinion- as long as it's fitted properly (NOT too tight) ;)
Kala

Post by Kala »

Sanna wrote:I love the Perfect Fit harness and have it for my own dog, but we use the Freedom one for a couple of dogs at the rescue I volunteer at and its pretty decent in my opinion- as long as it's fitted properly (NOT too tight) ;)
What one is that? The one with the link I listed?
-Spooks Code 9
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yep the Freedom is the one you linked! It's a decent harness, miles better than an EasyWalk in my opinion. If you don't like the martingale loop, Victoria Stilwell's harness (link) is the same design but with the loop on the back sewn shut so it doesn't tighten; it's the same price as the Freedom.

(Some people will sew the Freedom's loop shut themselves, or clip the leash to the square buckles on either side of the martingale loop to get around the martingale loop. Freedom harnesses are easier to find in pet stores, if you want to try it on the dog before you buy it.)
Kala

Post by Kala »

Erica wrote:Yep the Freedom is the one you linked! It's a decent harness, miles better than an EasyWalk in my opinion. If you don't like the martingale loop, Victoria Stilwell's harness (link) is the same design but with the loop on the back sewny shut so it doesn't tighten; it's the same price as the Freedom.

(Some people will sew the Freedom's loop shut themselves, or clip the leash to the square buckles on either side of the martingale loop to get around the martingale loop. Freedom harnesses are easier to find in pet stores, if you want to try it on the dog before you buy it.)
The one Victoria Stillwell has is too small for my dog pound wise. I have the x-small Freedom on my wish list from Amazon. I hope I don't go wrong in ordering it... :?
-Spooks Code 9