X-back harness fit?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

X-back harness fit?

Post by Erica »

I ordered a harness for Opal for CaniCross. It came today and seems small to me, even though I measured loosely and went up a size since Opal's a funny shape.

I can try to take pictures in sunlight tomorrow, but I didn't want to leave it on her too long as she did not appear comfortable in it.

Is it supposed to fit like this?

(and if not, anyone want it? I got it on clearance because I'm a big dumb and I can't exchange it.)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
gwd

Re: X-back harness fit?

Post by gwd »

It does seem a bit small, especially around her neck. .......perhaps swanny or mpbandmom could weigh in as they have more experience with how it's suppose to fit.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Could you email those photos to the manufacturer?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

Breeze is currently on the naughty list and back on his long line, so something like this would be perfect to stop it getting caught up between his back legs. IF it's no good for Opal and might be a good size for B (who is also a funny shape!) I'll buy it from you :)
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Why are you torturing Opal :( :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Erica

Post by Erica »

Gwd - that's what I was thinking. If she were to pull in it the weight would all be on her neck, so that's a bit pointless.

Nettle - good thinking! I'll do that and see what they suggest.

Minkee - the neck opening is 21", and the length from the back of the neck to the end of the harness is 26". It fits fine around Opal's chest (36" I think? I'll check when I get home) but I'll measure it later if it seems like it may fit him!

Clare - don't worry too much about the poor dear; she got liver treats throughout the process!
marie estey

Post by marie estey »

That Harness is not fitted right its much to short.
X back harnesses should come all the way to the tail for a proper fit. At least thats what I've learned from sledding
Not my dog but thats how it should look. I don't have and good pictures of my three.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yes, I got a different harness as I didn't find an X-back big enough for Opal. Here she is in her new harness, which is a different style and is nearly correctly fitted in this picture:

It's actually a bit too big there, but I've sorted out the sizing now. :) The x-back we got does fit our other dog, who is about 20 pounds smaller - lucky us!