Interesting Discussion re: choke chains

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

abbyneo

Interesting Discussion re: choke chains

Post by abbyneo »

Hi all,

Not sure how many of you are on facebook but currently there's a lively debate going between myself and someone else regarding the use of choke chains in loose-lead walking. If you go to the "Dog Food Advisor" page you can check it out (and contribute) if you'd like. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out which one is me... :D
Erica

Re: Interesting Discussion re: choke chains

Post by Erica »

Hehe, spotted your post. :)

The "other side" posted a link to that article ClareMarsh showed us recently - on how aversive-free training is killing dogs. :roll: Wowwee.

I think you might be able to figure out which one I am too. :P
Last edited by Erica on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Your posts are way better than mine!! :) I wanted to say everything you said but I don't have the knowledge and sources you do. I normally don't get too fired up about things on the internet but I do when it comes to this!

Edit: just checked out that website that the other side posted...I hadn't seen it before and even if I could ignore the typos (which I can't) I feel bad for people who might be looking for help and stumble across that site and feel like they're getting legitimate information on how to train their dog. Makes me sad. :?
Cassidyyorkie

Post by Cassidyyorkie »

abbyneo wrote:Hi all,

Not sure how many of you are on facebook but currently there's a lively debate going between myself and someone else regarding the use of choke chains in loose-lead walking. If you go to the "Dog Food Advisor" page you can check it out (and contribute) if you'd like. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out which one is me... :D
Is there a facebook page associated with this forum? Can you share the link?

Personally, I don't see any need for a choke chain. You can train dogs to walk beside you without any leash at all if you take the time to actually teach them the behavior you want.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Cassidyyorkie wrote:Personally, I don't see any need for a choke chain. You can train dogs to walk beside you without any leash at all if you take the time to actually teach them the behavior you want.
i use one when i'm training for the obedience ring. ........now i clip the leash to the dead ring, i don't want to inadverntantly give a leash correction. the reason i choose a chain collar is because i want to give my boy additional clues that i'm needing the auto sits in the ring vs NO sitting in the conformation ring. i think by him wearing very differnt collars in conformation/obedience/agility it helps him.

some show folks have this idea that they don't want to teach the show dogs to sit .....and if they are considering obedience work, they wait until after they're done competing in conformation. ........ i think that is shortchanging the dog. i think they're capable of keeping the different disciplines separate.
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

my boy had a flat collar untill he 9 months old. then i switched to a choker.
when i switched to a choker my dog already knew to how to heel on either
side with or without a leash. popping the collar was never used as a correction.
bendog

Post by bendog »

If your dog was heeling anyway what is the need for a choke chain?

I can see the logic in different collars for obedience etc but for just normal walks why not continue with the flat collar?
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Isn't the idea generally that you use a choke chain to TRAIN loose leash walking then move on to a regular collar, not the other way round?
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

In my view it seems people who use a choke chain dont bother teaching the dog to walk nicely on a loose lead. Some people seem to think as well that by the dog being choked when it pulls it will 'teach itself' to not pull!

I hate choke chains.....I really wish they werent sold now...the fact they are so widely available signifies to people that they are OK to use :(
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I know a few folks who use choke collars on their dogs, not to deter pulling forward, but to prevent their dogs from backing out of their collars like some can with a flat collar. When appropriate for me to say something, I recommend to them a martingale collar over a choke collar for this purpose. Same result, more humane for the dog.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Or even slip leads...which can be used in the same way as a choke chain of course, but which also usually have a toggle on so that it cant be used in this way. Martingale collars are better but just need to be fitted correctly otherwise they work in the same way as choke chains.

We had a Rottie puppy walk past our training class last week (where I assist) and we were outside before the clients fopr the next class turned up. We said hello and they bought the pup over....it was in choke chain. I asked politely if I could ask why they used one, and the guy said because its a strong breed and needs it for control. I then said that you need to be careful as it can cut off breathing and cause the trachea to collapse.,..and he said "He'll learn not to pull@. At that point I stopped as I didnt want to preach to him and get his back up.

The instructor I assist knew the wife from the local shop, so she said something to her a few days later and suggested they use a flat collar and harness....the lady then said she hadnt been keen and...wait for it...the puppy eyes often go red when it pulls :(
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I have to say though that I have turned several folks I've met in the park, on trails, etc. onto harnesses vs. collars altogether because they see Piper's Walkeez harness and stop me to ask me about it. Some of these folks were using choke collars too. So sometimes we convert with our words, sometimes by example. :wink: :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yes thats very true!
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

ladybug.. you should suggest your club where you work bans them and have owners remove them before class.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah no you misunderstood runlikethewind....the class I help out at wouldnt let ANYONE in with a choke chain. This puppy walked past the hall with his owners while we were outside waiting for the puppies for our class to arrive.