the nightmare coninues

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

the nightmare coninues

Post by meggit »

well im watching buddy like a hawk and ive managed not to let him scent anything in the house so thats good, outside 99% of the time his recall is fantastic if he sees another dog he will bark run towards it then stop bark again then return he never gets near the other dog and most of the time ive redirected him before he sees the other dog, he will ramdomly follow other people but a quick this way bud and hes back to me that is till tonight a young lad was riding his push bike around the field we were walking in bud had a quick sniff then ignored him then the young lad thought it woujld be funny to race round buddy of course buddy thinks hey great game and is trying very hard to get this young lad, bud wouldnt leave or off or come or anything OH went mad and now wants buddy "fixed" and trained "properlly" (meaning the will do as you are told or else way) hes now said buddy is not allowed to lie on the furniture or play sit on me and lick me to death (or grandson depending on which one of us smells the best :) ) apparantly buddy is now to learn his place.
so where have i gone wrong i dont let buddy ignore me if he choses to ignore me i go do something else hes now figured out that doing as i ask is a lot more fun, i work hard on training him maybe not as hard as i coujld but i think all in all ive done really well hes a happy dog hes loved he does do most of the stuff i ask of him but this chasing this lad on the bike tonight was bad he could have been hurt the kid coujld have been hurt
so please someone tell me why and how to fix this
sorry if this is a bit rambly but OH is so up in arms about this, its really upset me
Fundog

Re: the nightmare coninues

Post by Fundog »

You could get a hypnotherapist to hypnotize the OH into doing things your way again. And if that doesn't work, maybe you could rehome the OH? :P

Oh, oh, oh! I know! :idea: Get OH "fixed" instead! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh, it's terrible, because it's actually not Buddy's fault at all :(

Have you tried to explain to OH that Buddy was thinking it was a game?

I know, I have my own challenges with my OH. He doesn't believe in dominance or so, but he sometimes does expect the dogs to know / understand things that's completely unreasonable. I know it's difficult to deal with. I'm forever printing stuff from this forum for my OH to read - and I must say, sometimes he amazes me (especially when we have visitors or so, and he'll tell them something about the dogs that I actually told him - and at first he didn't believe me) :lol: So maybe educating OH will help (if he's willing)?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

meggit wrote:well im watching buddy like a hawk and ive managed not to let him scent anything in the house so thats good, outside 99% of the time his recall is fantastic if he sees another dog he will bark run towards it then stop bark again then return he never gets near the other dog and most of the time ive redirected him before he sees the other dog, he will ramdomly follow other people but a quick this way bud and hes back to me that is till tonight a young lad was riding his push bike around the field we were walking in bud had a quick sniff then ignored him then the young lad thought it woujld be funny to race round buddy of course buddy thinks hey great game and is trying very hard to get this young lad, bud wouldnt leave or off or come
Of course Buddy wouldn't listen to you, he was having far too much fun, bit like children when they are having fun, how many of them do as their parents ask :lol: This isn't Buddy's fault but the fault of the lad on the bike.
anything OH went mad and now wants buddy "fixed" and trained "properlly" (meaning the will do as you are told or else way) hes now said buddy is not allowed to lie on the furniture or play sit on me and lick me to death (or grandson depending on which one of us smells the best :) ) apparantly buddy is now to learn his place.
Think I would banish my OH to the spare room and keep saying nothing is wrong when he asks :lol: Not suggesting you do this but your OH needs to realise that there is more in your family than him. I did withdraw everything from my husband once because he wasn't listening, it worked. :lol:
so where have i gone wrong i dont let buddy ignore me if he choses to ignore me i go do something else hes now figured out that doing as i ask is a lot more fun, i work hard on training him maybe not as hard as i coujld but i think all in all ive done really well hes a happy dog hes loved he does do most of the stuff i ask of him but this chasing this lad on the bike tonight was bad he could have been hurt the kid coujld have been hurt
It was the kid's fault not Buddy's, he was just a dog being a dog, the lad should not have done this to Buddy and I would have gone balistics at him. If he got hurt it would be his fault, if Buddy had been hurt, and he could have been seriously hurt, it would be his fault.
so please someone tell me why and how to fix this
sorry if this is a bit rambly but OH is so up in arms about this, its really upset me
Send your OH to us, he is taking his fear of what could have happened out of you and Buddy and trying to bully you, I can understand him being frightened but he shouldn't take it out on What used to work for me when OH was in this frame of mind was to tell him we will discuss it when he stops bullying me, it worked every time after the initial shock which often started him shouting, I just walked away and closed the door. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MichelleD

Post by MichelleD »

(not trying to hijack a thread, but but what does the "O" stand for in "OH"??)
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I think it's for "other", as in my "Other Half" :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I think it was Emmabeth but not sure, who snatched someone's meal away when they were eating then told him that is how the dogs feel when he does it to them, :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It was indeed me who did that - I do not recommend you do that with a meal that involves a knife and fork... finger food only as a fork to the back of the hand hurts!

Stay calm with the OH - if he wants a rule that Buddy is not permitted on the furniture thats fine, but it won't in any way teach Buddy where his 'place' is or have any effect on what happens outside of the house - explain this to him, it will make no difference whether Buddy gets up and down when requested, or stays on the floor the whole time.

The incident with the lad on the bike is unfortunate but it ISNT Buddys fault, he was good....a nd then the little oik purposely wound him up!

Hugs and cyber wine for you!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Your husband needs to understand no training will make buddy 100% in all situations 100% of the time.

The training you are doing is your best bet to get as close as possible. Buddy will only get better with age and if you continue the training path your on. snipping him and "teaching his place" is the last thing you want to be doing.... tell your husband to talk to me :twisted:

he needs to understand somethings you may never be able to compete with. Jacks getting a pretty good recall. But I suspect I may never have a recall with him that is stronger than food he finds/smells on the way back to me. But I am going to keep trying. Example, yesterday we were out walking off leash. he ended up behind a fence separated from me. little picket type fence. so he turns around and heads back to the gate. as he gets to the gate, I call "Jack here", he starts to do it, then suddenly darts behind a shed. so I figure, play "where am I", which is MUCH stronger than my recall. "Jack, where am I?" no jack...oh no... move to the side of the shed I expected him to come out from. NO JACK...OH Crap...move to the other side of the shed...what do I see....????/

A Dog with a his head all the way in a brown paper bag munching away on.....chips and salsa...thank god not the salsa though. Suddenly restricting Jack from being up on the couch, bed, etc won't change/fix that. teaching Jack his "place" wont change that. Jack is just all about the food. I have to work a little harder to spot it before him, but that isn't always possible. I carry some pretty high value treats, but sometimes when it comes to some of the food he finds, the treats might as well be card board for all they are worth. thank god his only 18 pounds. I just pick him up and walk way sometimes.
meggit

Post by meggit »

thankyou all i feel much better now and have talked to OH (Other Half) and told him that he needs to be more involved with buddy's training and try to understand that a lot of what buddy does is just a dog being and dog yes some of it we might be able to change but some we might not, i also read to him the first few posts i put on here and the advice i was given to show him and remind me just how far we have come with buddy and how lucky we are, that he does have a recall, he does do all the basic comands (exept when there is a really really good smell outside) ,he is not nippy any more, he never chews anything in the house any more (exept his toys of course) ,he dosnt cry when left during the day or at night he no longer digs craters in my garden and he now will sit and stay when someone is at the door. Of course sometimes he not perfect nor am i and we both slip up sometimes as well you all know but hes a good dog and i dont want him to change and become a frightened little thing so OH is going my way again but this time hes going to join in even if he dosnt belive that it will carry on working. Yea Jacksdad mine is food orinantated (ohhhhhhh cant spell that word) too but im lucky he hasnt found anything that interesting on our walks YET :)