Old dog- grumpy and demanding

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lauram

Old dog- grumpy and demanding

Post by Lauram »

Hello, I'm having a few problems with Alf at the moment. Alf is 10 and a 26'' lurcher, i think saluki/greyhound/deerhound mix.

About a week ago we thought we were going to lose him, he took to his bed and didn't get up (except to empty himself once a day) for three days. We had taken him to the vets because of a tooth infection and he was given antibiotics etc which i don't think agreed with him. He is now well again.

Over the last few months he has been getting increasingly demanding and will only do things his way. He has completely changed his routine and seems to be organising us.

He will only walk when it suits him. Its not too much of a problem that he won't come on some of the walks the problem is that he will demand to go out at other times, not only does he stand at the door barking to go out himself, he will also call the pack. Whip them into a frenzy, this is getting worse we now have Po 'singing' OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs and Evie baying like a foxhound!! just because Alf wants a walk. The evening is worse.

He will also bark at the fridge, not just in my house but even when I take him visiting, so much so that the old man down the road, whom I visit for tea buys an extra chicken a week for when Alf comes round. If we ignore him at the fridge he will bark in the face of my friends and scratch them.

He will also lay in doorways and prevent other dogs entering or leaving the room.

He has half a rimmadyl a day and is on mobile bones joint supplement.

Honestly Alf is a great dog, but at the moment he seems to be turning into a grumpy old man. He has the whole household wrapped around his paw. Normally we just ignore them when they are being rude but he is incredibly persistant and we cannot have all the dogs howling at 9pm, I wouldn't tolerate it, I can't really expect the neighbours to either.

Any advice would be cool
Echuca

Re: Old dog- grumpy and demanding

Post by Echuca »

Hi

Could it be that he is starting to be a little dement (canine cognitive dysfunction/CCD ) ?
A drug called 'Selegiline' or L-Deprenyl, (brand name Anipryl), has been shown to alleviate some of the symptoms of CCD
You can also give Ginkgo Biloba, that have been used in Chinese medicine to maintain memory and delay the effects of early ageing. Thought to be involved in delivery of more oxygen and blood sugar to nerve cells.
B-Vitamins is vital to nervous system activity and metabolism
Continue to do reward-based training that will give him a sense of feeling good.

Good luck

Sincerely
Elisabeth
Echuca Working Collies - Focus on mentality, Health and Workingabilities
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I would have a full vet check including bloods to rule out any health problems or pain, these are the usual things when dogs get grumpy.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I have an elderly lurchery chap - will be 14 in November if he makes it. I too recommend a full health profile including prostate check.

My old feller currently has presented with prostate issues (sorted) thyroid issues (under medication) liver failure (ditto) and a severe heart murmur(ditto). In each case the ONLY symptom was his acting irrationally, or being grumpy. It would have been all too easy to write these symptoms off as old age but - that isn't what they were, and he was much chirpier and more with-it after treatment.

He is currently under the supervision of a wonderful homeopathic vet. and being treated with herbal preparations and homeopathy, so drugs will be our fall-back position if/when needed.

Long-term Rimadyl has its issues - you might conside trying homeopathic mix Rhus tox, Ruta graveolens and Arnica as a safe alternative to the Rimadyl. I don't know where in UK you are, but Ainsworth's Pharmacy will send by return of post. Obviously discuss with your vet before any change of treatment :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lauram

Post by Lauram »

Thank you.

He has got to go back to the vets so a vet check would be worthwhile i think.

He seems well in himself when he is on the walks that he picks and is still very keen to chase small furries. We started giving him a low dose of rimadyl because if he has exerted himself he struggles to move the next he is so stiff.

I'll let you all know if they find anything wierd
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Lauram, after his vet check if he is sufferin from arthritis I can recommend http://www.cortaflex.co.uk/catdogproducts.html, I use the pellets, it is expensive at £40 a tub but it lasted both Ellie and Bonnie for 4 months, doesn't work out expensive. Bonnie I use it more to prevent arthritis developing quickly, both back legs were broken when she was 6 months old, Ellie had arthritis quite badly, it gave her a new lease of life, she could do so much more. I also take Cortaflex and am able to do a lot more now that I could do, I can even bend down to pick something off the floor without any problems. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]