Different Reactions...A Thought

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OhioRuthie

Different Reactions...A Thought

Post by OhioRuthie »

About ten years ago I got a call from the dog warden they had new born puppies left on their doorstep. They brought them to me...I bottle raised them..a friend would visit almost daily and one of the puppies loved him..he ended up adopting him. I had the privlidge of seeing this dog grow up..when he would visit he always tried to lay across my stomach as he did when a baby...even when he got to be 80lbs he still tried. :lol:

His life ended early...when he was with me he was so gentle...he'd never pull the leash (I never trained him) though he'd yank his dad. If I took him to the vet he'd jump on and off the table for me...he was a real gentle giant with me which my friend didn't understand why the dog didn't treat him the same way. I was always gentle with the dog from the day he arrived.

One day my friend brought home a friend...let the dog in the room..the person leaned over the dog to pet him and the dog jumped up and took their lip off...they required plastic surgery. The dog was ordered to be put down. He was put down shortly afterwards. I know a dog should never bite but a stranger should never lean over a dog especially in their own home for the first time.

My friend never understood why this dog was always so gentle with me...as I watch episode of IMOTD I think its because I never hit, yelled or rough housed play with him. All things my friend admits to doing with the dog.

I guess we show them how to treat us by how we treat them. I love IMOTD such a gentle approach and wonderful results.

People have always thought I have a special gift with animals...but I really don't...I notice one thing I do others don't...I ask the animal if its okay to pet them and wait for them to come to me. Which has paid off in my neighborhood..when a dogs gotten loose they would call me to help..I'd call the dogs name and they would come right to me...and I think its simply because I have always shown them respect and always gentle with them.

I also have abused birds..and still hear from many involved with parrots how its "important they know who's boss". I don't get this obsession with dominance. Even though I don't hold any of the animals when they don't want me to they still come when I call or in case of the parrots "step up" when its needed. My rescue survives on mutual respect not dominance.

Cute story..I recently had my gallbladder removed and could only shower...for the first few days out of the hospital shower time always had one of the dogs head by the shower curtain in back of the shower until I got out..they walked with me up and down the steps..watched as I showered...they were so cute...trying to take care of me. Even the birds got into it...macaw falls from the abuse he suffered..balance issues..so I always ask if he's okay and to see his "boo boo". He does that with me now and in the sweetest voice. "let me see boo boo" "awww you okay?"

Again..just wanted to share my thoughts on how we teach animals how to treat us by how we treat them and thinking that must be the most important part of training...And to express how thankful I am for Victoria and how her approach helps animals especially those who've been abused.
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
Mattie

Re: Different Reactions...A Thought

Post by Mattie »

Like you I have taken on abused dogs and know just how quickly they turn round when we are gently but firm with them. My Greyhound was a very good height to take my face of and he did threaten at first quite a few times. I could have tried to force him to back down but what would that have done, just reinforced the fact that humans are to be feared and to protect himself. I took a lot of stick of some boards because I backed off, Merlin never got his own way, I always got my way but not by showing him I was the boss or trying to dominate him. By backing off, using my brain instead of my brawn, don't have much of that after 2 weeks of no food either :lol: It didn't take Merlin long to realise that he was safe and wasn't going to be abused.

He because such a gentle dog, so gentle he was able to visit people in hospital, nursing homes etc and gave joy to lots of people. I just wish I had the time etc to continue with this.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Awesome article, Ohio Ruthie! I think we should have Emmabeth move it to the "Articles" section. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Thanks FunDog :D

Mattie I've left a few boards because people were impossible so I know how you feel! I had a dying dog that one of my parrots loved...I have photos of them together and people went crazy on how irresponsible I was for allowing them together. Everytime I turned around when the dog was fine I'd hear the bird give a kiss (he makes the sound as he kisses) and there would be the dog..the bird would lean down off the cage and kiss him. So of course I was going to give them time together when the dog was dying.

This next shot I thought I got the kiss but just got Harvey moving his head after being kissed instead.

This parrot was hit in the face and beak cracked..the vet didn't know if it was going to heal or not..but unless you know where to look you can't tell. He has come to interact with others but still will only allow me to hold him. He was also with a cat...the cat was dying of old age and when I turned my back a minute to take the dogs out she got herself into Joey and in front of his cage looking up at him trying to meow but nothing was coming out..so I put them both on a pillow together for awhile...they were incredible to watch...the bird use to drive this cat nuts..he'd get right up to her with his beak in her ear and talk and she'd squint but let him. (I'd always move him when I saw this happening) I didn't realize she loved him too until she went to him during her final moments of life.

I think there is such a higher level of compassion with rescues towards each other..at least that has been my experience.

My websites:

OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

P.S. Wanted to add..the dog was on a lot of meds..we were trying to save him..the vet sent him home after a few days in the hospital..he did okay for awhile but then had a massive relapse and the vet put him down. He was having cluster grandmal seizures the couldn't be stopped and went on for more than twenty mintues...this after encephalitis (sp?) from the damn west nile virus and he was on advantix to prevent misquito bites!!!

My websites:

Lauram

Post by Lauram »

Thats great about a dog and a parrot. I think it is totally possible for different species to create relationships. Personally I think its to do with them feeling secure in their environment but also (without seeming Ceasrish) to do with engery. In a calm, comfortable situation almost any animal can learn to accept another. Our dogs are hunting dogs yet we have kept pet rabbits etc and with the exception of Tessie bear (no more will be said about Tessie bear's interaction with pets) all the dogs have behaved well around them.

When I was younger I wanted a guinnea pig but was banned from having any more pets, so I brought a G. pig for Alf (lurcher) Mr pig became Alf's pet. Alf would sleep on the sofa with Mr pig curled up against his nose. It was really sweet. Alf protected Mr pig and often mr pig slept in his bed. I know it may sound nuts because we do hunt with our dogs but the Guinnea pig was never seen as prey.

Its quite similar to when we go ferreting. the lurchers became obsessed with eric the ferret, norman and viscious Syd, they would never bite them and when not ferreting play in the garden. It all worked. I would never trust the terriers in the same way.

Untill recently we had a goat called Annabelle who lived with the horses, when a black dog came on to the yard and tried to chase her Bodie (horse) went ballistic and went for the dog in a way I have never seen him behave. It was like it was his goat on his yard. The horses know our dogs and I wouldnt say that they are friends but they have a mutual tolerance which is different from how they behave with strangers. This is just a tolerance but Alf was very affectionate towards mr pig
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Lauram that's so cool about your dogs..my vet said the same thing about when animals feel comfortable and safe...they all know they have a place and dont' feel threatened or competitive so they live peacefully together. Guinea pigs are pretty cool...years ago I had a dog that loved his..actually helped the dog overcome anxiety and fear. :)

My websites: