Calming dog after seizure

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Calming dog after seizure

Post by Sarah83 »

I have epilepsy and had a grand mal seizure a couple of hours ago. Understandably these seizures scare poor Rupert to the point he runs away from me if I move for three or four days after although as long as I'm sitting or lying down all he wants to do is cuddle up to me. Is there anything I can give or do to help him get over it? I've got Rescue Remedy in but I'm not sure how long to give it for or whether there's something better. I have no idea whether I hit him or kicked him during this or any other seizure or whether it's just the act of me flopping around that upsets him. Thankfully the seizures aren't too regular so it's not like he's living in constant fear of me but if I can help him get over it faster I'd like to do so. Thanks for any suggestions.
emmabeth

Re: Calming dog after seizure

Post by emmabeth »

I think you are probably doing the best you can if you make sure that as soon as you are able, you do stuff for/with him that he finds rewarding/relaxing/calming.

Presumably you dont get any warning, but if you can remember.. does he behave differently with you prior to a seizure? Maybe keep a diary ... so that potentially you could attempt to be in another room. I know these things vary though and though I think some dogs can predict seizures not all can..

The only other thing I can think of and I have no idea how practical this is, is to potentially 'life proof' him to you falling down/falling off stuff prior to a seizure.. so maybe 'if Mum falls down - go and sit over there'.. but I dont know how youd do that without help and I am not sure it wouldnt freak him out further.

You know him better so maybe its something to ponder on?
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I get no warning that I can remember but I always wake up somewhere safe so I must get some warning and get myself into a safe place. I lose all memory of everything I've done before the seizure hits though so I've no idea what warning I get or how Rupert behaves towards me before one hits. Once the soreness has gone I'll try clicker training him to not be frightened when I fall over. It's not going to be quite the same as a seizure but it might help. I can rope my husband in to help if necessary.

I woke up to find myself lying on the sofa with Rupert curled up practically on top of me after the one today so it's not as though he's frightened to come near me after one, he just gets away from me if I go to stand up. Once I'm on my feet he's okay, it's just the getting up that seems to bother him. I just ignore the behaviour rather than make a big deal about it and it passes after a few days. I just wondered whether there was anything else I could do to help him. I've put rescue remedy in his water but how long should I keep that up for? He's a stressy dog at the best of times so figured it couldn't hurt to give him some even if he's not overly worried about me flapping around.
GoofyDog2

Post by GoofyDog2 »

A quick suggestion might be to get a security camera or webcam that can record what happens prior to and during the seizure. Then, maybe, you could simulate the event and train your dog to help in some way, or give him a treat or other reward if and when he seems to calm down. He might then associate good things with the event and he might even be receptive to fetching a pillow or staying away or whatever is best for those times. Even if you are not conscious and able to act during the seizure, he may still be conditioned well enough to ignore it or provide assistance. :)
GoofyDog
Pawzk9

Post by Pawzk9 »

Waving "Hi" to Sarah and Rupert. Was all ready to suggest what I do to calm my dog after a seizure (his) which is a Breyers homemade vanilla bean ice cream and rescue remedy sundae. I don't have any really good advice on how to make Rupe more comfortable about your seizures. I'm sure it's distressing for him because he's so attached to you. Try not to feel too bad about it. Might try some aromatherapy type stuff as there is probably a different "scent" to your body chemistry around seizure time (which is how dogs probably predict seizures). I think it might be interesting to have Calvin watch and notice if he's indicating when you are getting ready to have one. Even if you don't remember it after the fact, he may help you get to safety.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have been trying to remember how my dogs were after my hubby had a seizure and can't, my dogs did get used to them eventually as he had grand mals about 3 times a week at one time.

What I did do was give my dogs a lot of attention after them, and speak in a happy voice, could you play catch the treat, you could be sitting down and safe doing this, your dog will have something to look forward to afterwards. He wouldn't need to catch the treat many times, he will soon settle again.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Waving "Hi" to Sarah and Rupert.
Waving back. Only aromatherapy things I have right now are candles, got one that's supposed to be calming so I'll give that a try. Calvin says Rupe didn't act differently towards me before the last seizure I had but it was the first one either of them had actually seen. I'll have one of your vanilla bean ice cream and rescue remedy sundaes though!

Mattie, I'm on a completely different planet for a few hours after a seizure and tend to just sleep it off for a couple of hours. I think that's a bit too long a gap for him to associate anything I can do me having with the seizure. My hubby (Calvin) has tried to give him fusses and treats after the two recent ones but apparently all Rupe wants is to cuddle up to me. As I say, the problem is only when I'm going from a sitting to a standing position, he runs to the other side of the room and watches me warily from there then once I'm standing he's fine again. I can desensitize him to that easily enough once my muscles don't scream in protest if I so much as turn my head. Hmm...that in itself could be the problem, I imagine I'm moving strangely at the moment because it hurts to do so.

Goofydog, before February my seizures were roughly every 12 months so setting up a camera hasn't really been a practical option. It's something I'll look at doing for around the middle of next month though since the last 3 months I've had a seizure on or near the 20th. I don't think I'll teach him to fetch a pillow though, he's likely to accidentally smother me with it :lol: I'd also hate to bite him or hit him during it so I think teaching him to go to his crate might be the best option.