Help! Another dog....

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ithinkican

Help! Another dog....

Post by ithinkican »

A young man I know came by tonight and asked me to take his dog for a week. Knowing him, it'll be a month (which I told him was the limit). There are issues I know about, and probably some I don't. His name is Buddy, and he is a 1 yr old German Shepherd/Pit mix.

Currently I have Luka, a 7 month old Labrador/heeler mix and Wolfie, a 9 month old small breed mix.

I've had Luka since he was 8 weeks old and Wolfie for a month. I already separate Luka and Wolfie frequently because Wolfie likes to play for a bit but then will start fighting with Luka.

Here's the rundown:

Buddy was taken from his mother at 2 weeks old. He was probably removed from his litter around that same time. He has not been exposed to other dogs other than one he lives with. I was told he has been exposed to a number of people, but I suspect it was only friends of his owner rather than random people. He came to me wearing a choke chain- that is how his owner corrects him. He is housetrained and has learned to sit/stay and down.

I introduced him to Luka in the front yard, both on leashes. I was far enough away that they could greet each other and also be out of the other dog's reach. Buddy was immediately fearful. I instructed his owner to not pull him back, correct him, or talk to him. I let him know I'd take Luka away if there was a problem. After about 10 minutes of Luka trying to get Buddy to play and Buddy just trying to get away, Buddy finally started to try to sniff Luka and was showing more friendly body language. He was still wary though. Since Buddy had a hard time with the introduction (he showed fear, but not aggression) I decided to introduce Wolfie tomorrow as Wolfie was already crated for the night.

I haven't had Luka crated in awhile because he grew out of his kennel. I borrowed a crate from a friend and since Buddy's owner said he was crate trained I told the owner to go ahead and crate him. Buddy was extremely resistant to going in the kennel. I told the owner to stop trying to shove him in and asked how many time he had been crated. The answer- a few times a year. Um, ok- NOT crate trained. So Luka had to go in the kennel and is having a fit. I understand why Luka is unhappy- here another dog comes to the house and gets to be out of the crate while Luka loses his "roam the house" priviledges and has to be in the crate. I'm not sure what else to do though- crate training takes time.

My plan- I'm going to get a regular collar for Buddy on Tuesday- thats the soonest I can get into town. I'm also going to try to get another kennel then too so I can begin crate training. I think all 3 dogs should be crated at night and when I'm not home.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do. I'm aware that, if cornered, Buddy may become aggressive toward Luka so I plan on keeping them separated unless one is leashed and I am supervising. Is that right?

Any advice, suggestions, wisdom, etc. is appreciated! I think I am totally in over my head here. I had asked the young man what other options he had, and he said the pound. His living situation had changed and he's looking for another place- when he finds one he'll take the dog back.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You realise theres every chance you are going to end up with Buddy forever... because in a months time this guy isnt going to have a place that allows dogs and he wont be able to take Buddy back..

SO then its going to be down to YOU to put Buddy in a shelter...

Honestly I would walk way from this, because Luka and Wolfies needs have to come first and its going to be horribly unfair.

That sounds harsh.. and it is, but there is huge potential for this to go badly wrong and for one of your dogs to end up injured.

If you did do it, then yes having them seperated at night and when you are not there is very wise. I strongly recommend you not to do it though. Why can't this guy put Buddy in kennels for a week or two?
ithinkican

Post by ithinkican »

Too late- I already said yes. Alan (the guy) had a hell of a sob story- his dad just died, Gramma is on her deathbed, and so on.

He couldn't put Buddy in a kennel because he's broke- no job. Alan is 19 years old. I know him because I am good friends with his former foster parent. A friend of his (who I also know) is helping him get a job and find a place. Hopefully he will. As it turns out, I'm looking for a renter for my place as I'm planning to move out of state. I let Alan know that if he gets a job, he can rent my place- he can have his dogs here. So he has every opportunity- just needs to get a job really. If he has not found a place or a job in 3 weeks, I'm going to start contacting rescues and put an ad on Craigslist to try to find Buddy a forever home. I don't want to have to take him to a shelter, but will if there are no other options. He's a sweet dog, but I have my hands full with the zoo I already have!

I only have to work today and Thursday, and then am off work for at least 8 days. I'll be continuing to work with Luka and Wolfie on their obedience individually, and am starting to work with Buddy individually as well. On Tuesday I have a ride into town so will buy another kennel and start kennel training Buddy. Also going to get a couple dog gates to better separate the house. Last night I took each dog outside individually to potty, and will continue to do that.

Since I already agreed to take Buddy for awhile, I need to make it work somehow. Is there any safe way to let Buddy and Luka interact off-leash? We don't have a fenced yard but a nearby park has a semi-fenced in area.