Finally have a trained mother...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dobiemuse

Finally have a trained mother...

Post by dobiemuse »

Yes! My training is working on my mother! She is the big softy when it comes to dogs (all animals really) and I have had a time to remind her that commands are only said once and PRAISE! She does listen to me, but forgets when I am not around. She had been complaining that my dobie would crowd her out around the door (she's been helping me since I haven't been feeling well). I'd tell her what to do and it was... yea yea.... He knows back-up and sit/stay. Finally I showed her what to do. She was shocked when I had her dog and mine both obeying me at the same time. I finally figured out that she didn't think her dog would follow but break my dobie's stay (he's still a pup and large). I've been teaching her dog commands and she knows this, but didn't trust her own ability. Anyway after I showed her... she did it! She was shocked. Both dogs were perfect. I didn't even have to remind her to praise! I'm so proud. Should I give her a treat? :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Humans respond well to rewards too..... :) and well done because its a lot easier to teach a dog something than it is to teach a human!!