Chasing cars while in one

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pitbull_puppy

Chasing cars while in one

Post by pitbull_puppy »

My 13 year old pitbull trys to chase cars and barks at them when we're in the truck and the go by, we try to get her to stop and it's partly working, but are there any tips that I could posibly get? :?:
pitbull_puppy

Post by pitbull_puppy »

*they
Marley

Post by Marley »

Is she inside the truck when this happens, or is she in the bed of the truck?

If she is inside, have you tried the dog car restraints? (like seatbelts for dogs)
pitbull_puppy

Post by pitbull_puppy »

She inside the truck, I think that it's to dangerous to have a dog in the bed of the truck.

Okay, thanks for the tip ^-^ i'll try that...
[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Full_metal_alchemist_2/deed1-1.gif[/img]
zeus'fostermom

Post by zeus'fostermom »

If your dog is treat motivated try this. While you're in the car and you see another car coming calmly toss a treat to him. It works best if you toss it near him so he has to look down for it as the car passes. You may want to start this on a street that isn't so busy. Keep it up and eventually your dog will see the approach of another car as a good thing.

I've done this successfully with two dogs that were so reactive that my SUV would shake.
Foster failure ... I've adopted Zeus !
pitbull_puppy

Post by pitbull_puppy »

0-o wow, that's a pretty big reation!
Thanks for the tips guys! ^-^ I'll make sure to try them both! :D
[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Full_metal_alchemist_2/deed1-1.gif[/img]