Clicker Trick Suggestions?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dogwoodblossom

Clicker Trick Suggestions?

Post by Dogwoodblossom »

Ok, so I'm new to clicker training, and I've hit a bit of a wall. At the suggestion of a friend who knows way more about this than I do I started free shaping behavior with a ball. Clicked for looking, clicked for nosing, ect... Now I've got her batting the dog with her paws, and she can generalize between ball shaped toys and problem solve and figure out she has to try new things when I'm holding out for more.

The thing is, I've kind of run out of ideas. I want to teach her to retrieve, but she is not a dog who has ever carried anything in her mouth besides food. I don't think it would ever occur to her to pick up the ball in her mouth, so that's on hold for now.

Um, I guess I have a specific question and a more general one. Specific first. So with the retrieving, like I said, I don't think she'll ever pick up a ball on her own, but she does carry around rawhide sticks. She's not generally interested in actually chewing them longer than about thirty seconds, but if I give her one she'll carry it off places before she gets bored and drops it (never to touch it ever, ever again). So I thought that maybe the rawhide would be something to use to try to teach the 'hold this in your mouth' behavior, or start with it then replace it with a stick shaped sort of toy. But using a food item (even one she's not that interested in) strikes me as wrong. It strikes my friend as a bad idea too, but neither of us can think of a reason why. Are we just crazy? Is starting with the rawhide and then swapping in a definite non food item a good idea?

Also, suggestions for a stick shaped toy would be welcome. Amelie is a miniature poodle and every stick/barbell shaped toy I've seen is too big for her. Actually every non cat toy I've ever seen is too big for her. Are there any maybe online specialty stores that sell toys for toys? The balls I've been using are cat toys, but still on the large size to get her to pick up when it's not something that comes naturally. I'm afraid anything smaller might be a choking hazard.

And the more general question, retrieving aside, what are some other basic tricks we can work on? She knows sit and speak and down, but she learned those the old fashioned way so if she doesn't get rewarded right away she'll cycle through them. I'm working on breaking them up and extending the length of the down. I also want to do shake and/or high five, but pawing my hand is another thing that doesn't come naturally. What does come naturally is to lie down and stare at me in confusion. She does a lot better when we're up and moving around.

Since I've got her pawing at the ball consistently I'd like to expand on that, but since I think picking it up is on hold for a bit I'm not sure where to go with the behavior. Any ideas on what stupid pet trick I can turn this into? I do know enough not to train when I'm not sure what I want, but I've been stumped for a couple days and I don't want to let it lapse too long.

Oh, hey, one more question. When she was younger (she's six) and we didn't know better she occasionally got called over for punishment, and now she's always suspicious when she's called. That hasn't happened for years, but it's ingrained. Even if I call her over and show her a treat (a really good treat even) she won't always come, or she'll come just barely within range to grab it then she'll back out of range. She'll come when called if I'm sitting, or have (people) food, or the leash but in any sort of, I don't know, more formal situation she gets wary. So of course she only refuses to come when it's important (ei: off leash situations where safety or etiquette is an issue, "come away from that dog," "get away from the road," that sort of thing) Mostly I don't let her off leash, but in an unforseen emergency that strategy isn't particularly helpful.

So, I'd appreciate suggestions for general tricks, strategies for the issues I mentioned, or suggestions for other resources I should check out. This forum has already been very helpful, so thanks!
dobiemuse

Post by dobiemuse »

You know there are a lot of good "trick" books out there. Just do a search at Amazon and you'll come up with some. That may get you more ideas than you bargain. :)

I've seen some "stick" like toys, but I cannot think of where at the moment. There are retrieval toys that you can get treats into, if this is where you were going with it.

As for the come... How is your body? Sometimes we lean forward and it may stop a dog from coming. Run the other way. Point your feet in the direction you want the dog to go. Might help. Just off the top of my fuzzy cold laden head. :)

I'm sure people here will be more specific than I have been.

http://www.dogwise.com (good dog books and some toys)
Marley

Post by Marley »

I've been working with Marley on the same thing. She learned "take it" with treats. I would offer the treat and say take it as she took the treat. (We learned this before I got a clicker).

I started to teach fetch the same way you have.
  • 1. Click anytime she paws at the toy (we used a rope toy, I was incredibly frustrated with the ball and the rope was easy for her to carry)
    2. We then started to work on her picking up the rope toy. (I asked her to get the rope)
    3. I started to toss the toy a couple of inches and ask her to get the rope.
    4. Once I felt she got it, I introduced the ball and repeated the entire thing.
    5. Right now I alternate between the ball and the rope (I'm trying to get her to distinguish their name).
My dog is about 11 lbs and I have found many stores carry items for little dogs. You can also shop online.