Manners while meeting

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Manners while meeting

Post by Shalista »

I know I'm forum spamming. this is my last one i swear!

Bax has ZERO doggy manners when greeting people. i DO screen WHO he meets so he only says hi to people how consent to say hi to him but he runs up to them and puts his paws up on them and SMOOSHES his neck into their hands. i think its adorable and it has the added benefit that people dont have to bend so far over to pet him (on his hind legs hes halfway up their thigh as opposed to barely cresting their shins) how seriously should i be addressing doggy manners and not jumping up?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Manners while meeting

Post by JudyN »

Shalista wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 amhow seriously should i be addressing doggy manners and not jumping up?
It's up to you really - as he's always on lead, you can check with people that they are happy with his cuddles before he gets in range. If I'm in a dog-walking area and a little dog puts his paws on my legs I don't mind at all - but I will turn my back and/or encourage him to get 4 paws on the floor as his owners may well not want to habit reinforced. I tend to think that people wearing white trousers who walk in a place where dogs are often walked are asking for paw prints on their immaculate clothes... but arguably they should be able to walk where they want wearing what they want :wink:

But it seems to be a difficult habit to break which is understandable when you're so low down - you'd also need a few people to help out by only giving him pets when he's doing what you want him to do. And of course he does like the body contact, so if you want an easy life, you could just manage it so that he doesn't do it to anyone who doesn't appreciate it.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009