Help with potty training!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

doxielover

Help with potty training!

Post by doxielover »

Hi everyone. I'm a new foster coordinator for a rescue and need some advice for one of my foster homes. Minnie is an approximately 12-year-old dachshund mix who was picked up as a stray and rescued by my group. As far as I know, she seemed to do fine at our facility as far as not having accidents in her kennel. She's been in a foster home for three weeks. The first 3-4 days everything was fine. After that, she started peeing on the couch, in the house, on her dog bed in her pen, in the crate. The foster mom started taking her out every two hours to potty but she's still peeing in the house. She saw the vet and they ruled out a urinary tract infection. Blood work was done when she first came into rescue a couple months ago and showed nothing unusual. The vet said this is probably behavioral. Minnie can't hear well and isn't very food motivated.

This is this family's first foster dog. They are being totally patient but I'm sure this is trying. Any suggestions? Any ideas I can pass on?
Erica

Re: Help with potty training!

Post by Erica »

Possibly anxiety if the vet doesn't think it's medical -- still, peeing in her crate is a concern. I might get a second opinion from a vet and if cleared medically again, look to build confidence and possibly see if an anti-anxiety med helps.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Might be spayed b itch incontinence which is very common, and as she is an old dog age could be a factor as well. There are several kinds of medication to try for this.

UTI can be very difficult to diagnose and most vets would give a short course of ABs as a precaution.

Only when these have been investigated and treated without success should it be considered behavioural.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

poor girl =( my sympathizes to the family. my dog bax wasnt FULLY potty trained until he was 5. (that was 100% behavioral though) best of luck to them.

you should send them along to here so we can chat with them more directly about anything they might be trying.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13