Help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Parrock

Help!

Post by Parrock »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a puppy issue to ask for advice on. I thought my 5 month old pup was housetrained, she's been going through the night for some time now and doing really well. Now she's just started pooping during the night again. Should we expect her to be able to hold it all night, or is it normal that she won't always be able to? Thanks for any advice.
JudyN

Re: Help!

Post by JudyN »

I've just moved your post to the training section, where it should get more views.

Is she asking to go out in the middle of the night, or having accidents? Does she sleep in your room, or elsewhere? If elsewhere, would you hear if she was whining to go out?

Have there been any other changes in her digestion, e.g. frequency or consistency of poos,or has her diet/timing of meals changed?

It's often possible to change a dog's timings by changing the time of her last meal. So, for instance, if she normally has her evening meal at 5pm and she needs a poo at 4am, moving the meal to 7pm might mean she can go through till 6am. Alternatively, an earlier meal can mean she'll get the poo done before bedtime.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009