Dog that jump on people

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Spike12

Dog that jump on people

Post by Spike12 »

Hi everyone !

I'm sorry for my English, I speak French.

My dog jumps on people, guests, people in street etc, if they look at him !

I think it is stressed when someone looks at it. What can I do ??

Thanks all for your help
emmabeth

Re: Dog that jump on people

Post by emmabeth »

Hi Spike!

When you say your dog jumps on people, is this a happy greeting kind of jump, or an aggressive lunge. Does he want to meet people, or does he want them to go away?

I would be inclined to avoid walking in places where there are a lot of people in close proximity, so avoid pavement walks if you can - find somewhere with some space to sit down and hang out, feeding your dog lots of high value food treats every time you see a person, so that people = getting tasty treats from you.

When you do have to walk, try to have your dog on one side of you, so that when you pass someone, your dog is the other side of you, not right next to them, you are between your dog and the person. Get your dogs attention with a happy high pitched voice and make sure you have some good treats in your pocket or in a treat pouch to reward your dog as you pass.

The ideal though is to avoid the close contact with people for a while, get your dog more focused on you and associating the sight of people with rewards.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Hi Spike,

When your dog greets you from being away, does he greet you with 4 on the floor or do you allow a jumping greeting because you like it? Second what type of dog do you have size wise....toy, small, medium large, Xlarge. Often times smaller breed jump because the world looks down at them and it can be stressful.

For home greeting of you and members of your household, ignore the jumping and once your dog is giving you 4 on the floor, drop delicious food/treats. Stop giving treat if your dog jumps up and return to ignoring him. Only give him rewards when his paws are on the ground.

Start with this and the people he is familiar with to build a solid foundation on how to properly greet people. As for now, do not encourage him to greet strangers, or encourage strangers to come and meet your dog as you are working on his behavior and if they are causing stress, you want to avoid it.

Once you have his greeting of known people, then you can start working in as much control as you can environments with strangers. Perhaps in less crowed areas where he would only meet 1-2 people as opposed to 4 or more. Caution people to approach slow, avoid eye contact etc... to help your dog feel more comfortable and provide great rewards to good behavior.
Spike12

Post by Spike12 »

emmabeth wrote:Hi Spike!

When you say your dog jumps on people, is this a happy greeting kind of jump, or an aggressive lunge. Does he want to meet people, or does he want them to go away?

I would be inclined to avoid walking in places where there are a lot of people in close proximity, so avoid pavement walks if you can - find somewhere with some space to sit down and hang out, feeding your dog lots of high value food treats every time you see a person, so that people = getting tasty treats from you.

When you do have to walk, try to have your dog on one side of you, so that when you pass someone, your dog is the other side of you, not right next to them, you are between your dog and the person. Get your dogs attention with a happy high pitched voice and make sure you have some good treats in your pocket or in a treat pouch to reward your dog as you pass.

The ideal though is to avoid the close contact with people for a while, get your dog more focused on you and associating the sight of people with rewards.

Hi ! thanks for your advice ! My dog jump on people because he is happy to see them, with stranger too, he wants to say hello. I will try to apply your advice :) thanks
Spike12

Post by Spike12 »

ckranz wrote:Hi Spike,

When your dog greets you from being away, does he greet you with 4 on the floor or do you allow a jumping greeting because you like it? Second what type of dog do you have size wise....toy, small, medium large, Xlarge. Often times smaller breed jump because the world looks down at them and it can be stressful.

For home greeting of you and members of your household, ignore the jumping and once your dog is giving you 4 on the floor, drop delicious food/treats. Stop giving treat if your dog jumps up and return to ignoring him. Only give him rewards when his paws are on the ground.

Start with this and the people he is familiar with to build a solid foundation on how to properly greet people. As for now, do not encourage him to greet strangers, or encourage strangers to come and meet your dog as you are working on his behavior and if they are causing stress, you want to avoid it.

Once you have his greeting of known people, then you can start working in as much control as you can environments with strangers. Perhaps in less crowed areas where he would only meet 1-2 people as opposed to 4 or more. Caution people to approach slow, avoid eye contact etc... to help your dog feel more comfortable and provide great rewards to good behavior.
Hi ckranz. My dog is a medium I think, he is 22 kilogramm. I will test your advice too. He really jump, he left his 2 paws on the floor and the 2 other on people, with me and my boyfriend he doesn't do that, only with other people. Thanks for your answer