Group training advice

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Hannahlb

Group training advice

Post by Hannahlb »

Hi all

I've recently completed a canine behaviour practitioner course with the British College of Canine Studies. I'm now gaining valuable practical experience at a local doggy day care who have agreed to let me work with their dogs.

I want to create a programme for the day care where myself and the other staff can do some training sessions to keep the dogs active physically and mentally. I would like to do some basic obedience with the dogs and teach the staff how to execute the training but the issues are:
1. I need to be able to run exercises with perhaps 10 dogs at a time (with 1 assistant)
2. I cannot use treats as the day care are careful with what they can give dogs

I would like to incorporate games mostly as I think that will be the best format for the large group of dogs. So far I thought we could do:
1. Obstacle course - set out cones, chairs, toys and weave the dogs around them.
2. Watch me command - using toys as rewards
3. Sit, down, stay

I don't have enough experience to know what would be best in a group situation as I've only done 1-1 sessions so far.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you for your help.

Hannah