dog fights

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

marie estey

dog fights

Post by marie estey »

I know I've seen a lot of these and read most of them but I'm having a small issue. I run a multi dog home two females and one male. All dogs are fixed so no one should be fighting to reproduce.
My male is fixed three years old husky lab mix he's not the issue at all honesty the girls are fighting and he either sleeps through it, walks away, or attempts to break it up.
Our second dog a 2 year old border collie mix is a rescue for Georgia who by trainer stand point has classic puppy mill dog issues we have worked on these and she has made huge strides between the reactive dog class and home training. She finally gets to start basic and advanced obedience in 6 weeks Though she is already great with Sit stay leave it lay down .
Our third dog is an Alaskan malamute female one year.

All my dogs run sled in the winter now for fun I'm not formally trained at all its a great energy zapper and works the mind too. During all the sled runs we had no fighting at all. I'd assume from to much exercise they were to tired to scuffle.
The first fight was in October lasted a few minutes and there was a few minor injuries due to one of them hitting some wood. I'm not even sure what it was over to be honest I was in the bedroom.
The second fight was small as well not sure what it was over either. it was some time in december
Then nothing until march my friend who hasn't been around since october showed up for a visit all my dogs love her very much. and over the course of the weekend with her here there were two fights. I came to the conclusion it was over food. She was eating at the couch and Momo the alaskan malamute is a thief stole some food and when she tried to do it again and was caught was told no. So when redirected to the floor to get down no food she then lunged for our border collie. Who if attacked will defend herself. This eurupted into a much larger dog fight the ended quickly but my friend did get a small bite.
The very next day another dog fight welled up and I'm not sure if it was started by food or not its possible. My husband and I ended it quickly. minor nicks on both dogs again.
Then for two weeks nothing but normal grumbles. My husband and I implemented a stricked no food around the dogs rule. During all human meals all dogs are currently in their crates with a fun yummy kong. I want to eliminate the issue not continue to allow it to happen. This has worked so far
but 3 days ago during playtime im not sure what happened I think they collided somehow going or two different toys which in turn became a fight. dealing with it quickly it was done.
We sent our border collie to my dad for two days to give her a short break brought her home last night a few grumbles then they all settled in like it never happened. We went on a couple walks just me and the two girls and they walked buddy buddy and preferred to mostly ignore each other inside. This is fine with me I don't care if they never want to play together as long as they are not killing each other. I love them dearly and could not handle giving one up or losing one.

I guess I'm looking at what to do where to go from here?

Also no fights have ever happened outside on a walk or at the dog park where they are both well behaved dogs.

Also here are a few video's of how my girls interact
http://youtu.be/JTWPqTq66AY This video I'm a little concerned with Momo who's hackles are clearly up which is no good
Out side http://youtu.be/nQv0YkQYNas
Fundog

Re: dog fights

Post by Fundog »

Okay, I have two girl dogs who are spayed, and they have had their share of quarrels. At first, these quarrels were all about the insecurity of our second dog, and with some good behavior management and rehabilitation, they became friends. However, every now and then, they will still get into a squabble, and it is ALWAYS about food. One morning, blood was drawn over a single lima bean that they both found on the floor at the same time! :shock:

Interestingly enough, my girls are now raw fed, prey model diet/raw meaty bones, and have been for over a year.

They've had a squabble once on this diet, when they both found an unfinished meaty bone in the backyard....
Basically, management-- that is to say, VIGILANT management is key here. You know what sets them off. Knowing this, it is logical to figure out how to prevent it.

For example, Annie eats her meals outside. Always.

Dottie eats her meals in her bed. Always.

If all we humans are eating something, we coordinate by verbal agreement who is going to let which dog lick who's plate...

Meals and treats are supervised. Dottie is the one to get nervous and grumbly when Annie has food, worrying that she won't get any. This makes her very likely to attack Annie. We know this. Therefore we see and recognize Dottie's behavior and call her away from Annie immediately to offer her a scrumptious tidbit of her own. Which appeases the Dottie Monster Goddess. :wink:

So once again: It really is all about training the humans, and vigilant management. At my house, we humans can have food around the dogs. That is because our dogs just lay quietly at our feet while we eat. That is because they know they get to wash the dishes when we are finished. But if at your house it is better that dogs are crated while humans have food, then that is a good plan and that is what you need to do, so do it. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
marie estey

Post by marie estey »

It's people food that starts the fighting for my dogs. So we have made our meals their time to relax away from each bother with a tasty kong. That way everyone gets a break.

My dogs are on a homemade dog food diet. Mizuki is allergic to something in even the top of the line no grains ones. So I spend a day a week cooking and prepping dog food. They can all eat next to each other just fine. They don't grown or anything.

These fights for us are rare both girls snuggle at night and play well outside.

I'm glad to know that I'm doing everything in the right direction. This week marks the first of 2 classes for each girl. Both are going into 12 week programs for dog obedience and from there we will see. The trainer also does in home stuff so she maybe able to come help.

Since nothing bad has happened out side I walk the girls together and continue to show them good is good. And when inside I continue the oh look she's there good look. I went through reactive/aggressive dog class with the border collie she's a nervous dog. So I use a lot of what I learned inside.

Momo is my little starter. One fight started while I was eating a snack and she leaped over me sitting to get mizuki who I kid you not was dead asleep did not even no I had food. And of course the little border collie can't back down and just loose. So we have a rubber maid tote that we pop over a dog to safely stop the situation with out bites

Though it's never the border collie who starts these
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yep, agreed, you are going the right direction, but you just need to solidify your path more: i.e.; now that you know what the squabbles are about, and how to prevent them, keep doing that really well. Until it is second nature and a habit, like making sure the door is locked when you leave the house. :wink:

That idea of having a tote close at hand to stop fights without getting bitten is a good one-- we here on this forum need to remember that, to share it with others. :idea: :mrgreen:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
marie estey

Post by marie estey »

My husband came up with that. Human safety and dog safety it's an easy way to stop a fight with no blood.

I'm always going to be more on top of the issue watching for they triggers.