Dog aggression help please

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Keli&benj

Dog aggression help please

Post by Keli&benj »

My dog is really aggressive to other dogs whilst out on the lead, so much so I cannot go near any other dog we even have problems with dogs on the other side of the street :( Benji goes mad, barking pulling lunging to try and get to them! He is a 6 stone bouvier des Flanders and I'm only 8 stone and tbh I sometimes have trouble keeping him under control.

I rehomed Benji about a year ago and wasn't aware of any aggression problems, at first I would let him off the lead in wooded areas and he was fine , would play with other dogs no problem. Then he took a dislike to certain dogs and went to attack them. I was reported to the police and he is now on a warning. I tried a different area for our off the lead walks and he was great for a while but then again started to attack a certain dog. It's now got to the point where I can 't let him off the lead. We only walk around the street now, with him on the lead and he can't go near any dogs! Tbh it's a nightmare.

I have trained muzzling him but it seems to make him worse when he sees the other dog. I have him in a halti harness that I fasten the lead from the his chest. He walks fine it's just when he sees other dogs. I seem to have accepted this is the way he is and when he sees a dog I just dig my heels in and let him bark and jump about whilst I say sorry sweetly. I have trouble with trying to move whilst he is going mad as he is so big and I'm so small I am scared I could slip or let him get away.

I adore my Benji and am never going to get rid but I would love to solve this problem as it really upsets me he behaves this way :( I would really appreciate any advice or help anyone could give.

Thank you :)
Ari_RR

Re: Dog aggression help please

Post by Ari_RR »

Hi Kelly
You will get much better response from others on how to reduce his level of reactivity..

I have a monster dog too, who can in some situations react to other dogs (especially large males).
So just wanted to share my guiding principals on how to avoid... unpleasant scenes.

1. The closer my dog is to me, the easier it is for me to keep him from lunging at the other dog.
2. The quicker the encounter - the better.
3. Need to break the line of sight - if he locks his eyes on the other dog, it's more likely to escalate.
4. Assume (and be ready for) that the other dog can break free and run up to you.
5. Always pass dogs keeping yours on the outside (dog - human - human - dog).

These translate into the following procedure, which has been very successful for us.
Let's say we are walking on a trail, and there is another person/dog combo walking towards us.
I pull him closer - no slack in the leash, and put him on outside side.
We speed up, ideally jogging, not just walking.
As we are passing the other dog, the trick is to keep myself blocking his view. If he wants to get to the other dog, he will try to cross in front of me and get closer to it - I don't hold him back, instead I step in front of him, controlling him with my body instead of pulling him back with the leash.

And before you know it - it's over, we passed it! But keep moving, and when the distance is large enough for him to relax - treats! Good boy! Balloons, big party!

Some folks handle this differently - trying to put their dog in a sit, distract him with treats, and just wait for the other dog to pass... Or simply holding on to the leash for dear life. I am not a fan of this - in my opinion the longer the encounter - the more stressful it is for your boy, so if can't avoid - make it quick and get out of there with everyone safe.

Good luck. Stand by, others will give you good suggestions on how to address the underlying cause, not just how to manage symptoms, I am sure.

Cheers

I am a big fan of bouviers... Great dogs.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Keli&benj wrote:My dog is really aggressive to other dogs whilst out on the lead, so much so I cannot go near any other dog we even have problems with dogs on the other side of the street :( Benji goes mad, barking pulling lunging to try and get to them! He is a 6 stone bouvier des Flanders and I'm only 8 stone and tbh I sometimes have trouble keeping him under control.

I rehomed Benji about a year ago and wasn't aware of any aggression problems, at first I would let him off the lead in wooded areas and he was fine , would play with other dogs no problem. Then he took a dislike to certain dogs and went to attack them. I was reported to the police and he is now on a warning. I tried a different area for our off the lead walks and he was great for a while but then again started to attack a certain dog. It's now got to the point where I can 't let him off the lead. We only walk around the street now, with him on the lead and he can't go near any dogs! Tbh it's a nightmare.
For now, off lead is something you will have to give up. he needs to stay on leash. This is a safety issue for you you both.
Keli&benj wrote:I seem to have accepted this is the way he is and when he sees a dog I just dig my heels in and let him bark and jump about whilst I say sorry sweetly. I have trouble with trying to move whilst he is going mad as he is so big and I'm so small I am scared I could slip or let him get away.
It is absolutely great that you have accepted for who he is. BUT neither of you need to live like this. I know you mean well and even feel like you don't have any other options, but "dig my heels in and let him bark and jump"....actually will only make this worse. the more get gets to practice this response, the better at it he will become.

It is actually MUCH better if you do your best to see the other dog or dogs first and turn and go another way so he won't "go mad". while this isn't "THE" solution, it is a critical first step. It's breaking the cycle of see dog, go mad. it also gives you and Benji a break.

Ari_RR gives some good advice, but the most important thing you can do right now is to avoid dogs and give both you and Benji a break. avoid them like his life depends on it, but it sounds like it just might if the police are already talking with you. Also, no more off lead if there is even a chance other dogs are going to be around.

I would also assume fear is the motivating factor for now. If you are wrong, the worst is nothing gets better, but if you are avoiding dogs at the greatest distance you can at this time, it really won't get much worse.

The way to start treating the fear is to after taking a break (the avoiding) you start making a note of how far away from other dogs you and benji can be without him going "mad", then...at that distance, when he looks at another dog, he gets a SUPER yummy food treat.

I apologize, but I am going to get lazy on you and ask you read my explanation how to do this in this thread. but post your questions here if you have any.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17667

I would also suggest a vet check like I discuss in the link I provided above.

All this, but my two cents and Ari's input are starting places. as Benji improves, things change and what you do also has to change. so do keep in touch. Also, if you have any questions at all, do NOT hesitate to ask.
Keli&benj

Post by Keli&benj »

Thank you so much for your replies :) I'm having a good toot around this forum and am finding loads of info about my problem. I think for now as I already do the avoidance ( hiding behind cars!) I'm going to concentrate on Benji's safe distance and dogs that he 's not reactive to close that distance. At the moment that is across the road. I can go for a week without having an episode but when it happens I do get disappointed. So for me and Benji it's treats treat treats when he sees a dog and narrow the gap between them. I don't think Benji's problem is fear I think it is an over excitiness to play then he just can't control himself as I never allow him contact anymore. The dog he is really reactive too are mainly big dogs and with these he takes an instance dislike and these he wants to attack! It's hard getting in a dogs head :)
Keli&benj

Post by Keli&benj »

Ari rr I totally think Bouviers rock! It's funny in England no one really knows the breed and I've never seen another. Everyone thinks my Benj is a labradoodle.. Which is ok but as Bouvier's are a lot heavier and thicker dog they think he is overweight!
Keli&benj

Post by Keli&benj »

Jacks dad just to add that when Benji first started the aggression I got him checked out straight away. He got the all clear and the vet just put his aggression as him taking a dislike to the dog! Saying its normal dog behavior. Much good she was :)
Keli&benj

Post by Keli&benj »

Also to add ;)

I agree that the encounters with other dogs should be short and would be best if I lead Benji away but the problem is that he's too big and I'm only small. When he's totally lost it and lunging barking etc I have trouble moving him as I'm scared I'll lose my footing or he 'll get away from me ( this happened with the police women, it was a icy day and she kept bringing her Doberman closer and closer making Benji go madder and madder, I lost my footing and let him go :() with the harness I do feel I can keep hold and I just let him bark and jump etc until the dog has gone by. I will try stop doing this and try and remove him. I have seen Victoria with head harness' on big dogs but when I tried it I felt I had no control and tbh I was scared he would get out of it.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Keli&benj wrote:I don't think Benji's problem is fear I think it is an over excitiness to play then he just can't control himself as I never allow him contact anymore.
Here is from my own experience, but this is not a suggestion....
So, there is this dog in the neighborhood. A spaniel boy.. Every time we would meet them during walks, both Ari (my Ridgeback) and the dog would lunge and bark and make faces and sounds like they were about to rip each other apart. And we just kept as much distance as possible.
But one day we met him off leash, he ran up to us quickly and..... they just sniffed each other, playbowed, no aggression at all... And now, when we see them on the walks, we do the opposite - we quickly let them approach, so they don't have the chance to get worked up trying to get closer while being restrained. And it's always a quick and friendly sniff, playbow, and everyone moves on without any drama... I never really allow them to play/chase/wrestle, but only because Ari outweighs the spaniel by 70-80 lbs. Bottome line - although it looked scary (barking, lunging, etc) - all it was a mutual desire to investigate each other + being restrained by leash. Instead of keeping them apart, we allow them to quickly approach, and all barking/lunging/etc disappeared instantly.

Again, not a suggestion to use as a general approach... Just to agree with you, the excitement while being restrained can look scary...
Keli&benj

Post by Keli&benj »

Thanks Ari. The last time I tried this, funnily enough was with a spaniel, the spaniel rolled on his belly and Benji went for it :( or to me it seemed like he did! Now I'm just scared to let him near anything :( I just took him out and we saw a dog he normally sees again a spaniel, I tried to hide but had nowhere to go and he went mad. I couldn't move him as I was on wet grass and it was slippy underfoot. Benji was out of control but I had a firm grip and felt confident with holding him. The spaniel owner knows me so just carried on by. The whole thing lasted 20 seconds ish. I just don't know how I could do anything different :(
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Keli&benj wrote:I think for now as I already do the avoidance ( hiding behind cars!) I'm going to concentrate on Benji's safe distance and dogs that he 's not reactive to close that distance. At the moment that is across the road. I can go for a week without having an episode but when it happens I do get disappointed. So for me and Benji it's treats treat treats when he sees a dog and narrow the gap between them.
to start out, I would caution against intentionally closing the gap. give the see other dog, get treat some time first. life will give you plenty of "gap closing" even if you don't want it to or are not ready for it. so my advice, don't push things at this point.

helping a dog like benji can't be looked at as something to get off the check list quickly, its a process, it takes time. how much, all depends on the dog, how often he is over threshold and many more details. I have had my dog 4 years now, in some areas he has made amazing progress, and has gone from fearful of any dog or person, to having dog pals, playing with dogs, and even seeking out attention from people other than me and my family. in others it feels like no change. I have a neighbor that in 6 weeks just doing see dog, get treat was able to get her fearful dog to a point that my dog took 2 years. it all just depends on the dog as to have fast things will progress. but if you force progress, you will ultimately take longer to reach your goals.
Keli&benj wrote: I don't think Benji's problem is fear I think it is an over excitiness to play then he just can't control himself as I never allow him contact anymore. The dog he is really reactive too are mainly big dogs and with these he takes an instance dislike and these he wants to attack! It's hard getting in a dogs head :)
It is true, not all aggression is from fear. Frustration from never being able to interact with other dogs is also an accepted cause of aggression. however, this is FAR, FAR, FAR less common than fear based aggression. based on your descriptions, I strongly suggestion you continue to assume fear for now.

Dogs are just like us in the sense they are complex creatures, with a broad range of emotions. Things are never as simple as "oh it is just fear and nothing else". Like us, they do not experience just one emotion at a time or get locked into just one emotion. they can move from happy, to scared, to angry to frustrated back to happy in short periods of time just like we can.

it is entirely possible that sometimes Benji's emotional state is frustration not being able to go up to another dog, and others it's fear. without having a chance to really observe and get to know Benji there is no way I can guide you on when its one state or the other. But Benji does give off clues, the sound of his bark, the way he holds his mouth, position of the ears, how the tail is waging (not all waging is happiness) or not, position of the tail and much, much more.

However, it is best to assume fear is the predominate driving emotion. The two main reasons for this is. 1. you won't make things worse. if you assume it is all frustration from not getting to go up to other dogs, but turn out to be wrong...you can make things worse, you risk dog fights, bites and even him killing a smaller dog. These are all possible and if he is already on the radar of the police, you don't want to risk even a minor scrape that is technically started by the other dog. But if you are wrong and this isn't fear at all, you do no harm. you kept him at safe distances, you watched his threshold distance, you redirected his attention etc, etc. you won't make a lot of progress if it's not fear, but your risk of getting worse is much, much smaller. 2. much of how you help a dog that is over excited verse fearful, in the beginning has a lot of overlap. so you aren't wasting your time. But if you are wrong and it is fear, the next steps in helping a dog that is over excited, loves dogs and is frustrated that he can go up to them....actual will make the fearful dog worse.

The love dogs, over excited, but socially inept and frustred dogs that is acting aggressively again is a much, much rarer "beast" than the fearful dog.
Keli&benj wrote:Jacks dad just to add that when Benji first started the aggression I got him checked out straight away. He got the all clear and the vet just put his aggression as him taking a dislike to the dog! Saying its normal dog behavior. Much good she was :)
That isn't actually all that unreasonable a diagnosis. without sound advice what to do next, not all that helpful, but one dog disliking another and the result being aggression, actually is pretty sound. I still think you need to operate from the assumption of your dog being fearful though.

Also, don't discount the possibility of your dog hiding pain or illness or that something minor missed a year ago hasn't progressed to something less minor today. my dog gets regular vet checks and we missed his teeth needing some work....for almost the entire time I have had him. He started going backwards in a few areas, health and behavior and my vet took us back to square one, no assumptions health wise, gave him a complete exam, discovered his teeth issues. we fixed that, and as he healed, he was able to better deal with his fear/stress triggers again.

Continue to keep tabs on his health. things change there too between vet visits. And health issues can cause aggression, or make it worse.
Keli&benj wrote:Also to add ;)

I agree that the encounters with other dogs should be short and would be best if I lead Benji away but the problem is that he's too big and I'm only small. When he's totally lost it and lunging barking etc I have trouble moving him as I'm scared I'll lose my footing or he 'll get away from me ( this happened with the police women, it was a icy day and she kept bringing her Doberman closer and closer making Benji go madder and madder, I lost my footing and let him go :() with the harness I do feel I can keep hold and I just let him bark and jump etc until the dog has gone by. I will try stop doing this and try and remove him. I have seen Victoria with head harness' on big dogs but when I tried it I felt I had no control and tbh I was scared he would get out of it.
Again, I would argue for now, benji having encounters with other dogs is not a top priority, it's like number 978 on a list of 1000 things needing to be done...there isn't literally a 1000 things you need to be doing, just making a point about how important (or not) it is for benji to be having dog/dog encounters right now.

When things progress to the point it is helpful for him to meet and greet other dogs you will want to follow a 3 second rule to start...dogs start sniffing, 1...2...3.... call away or step between to separate them and let them have a break. sometimes if the encounters go too long, what starts as a nice, polite meet and greet "out of the blue" turns into a snarling, teeth baring, snark fest. again, your dog is already on the radar of the police, you need to be thinking about how things can go wrong and setting benji up for success. meet and greets at this time most likely are not the path to success for beji. Also, keep in mind, that some dogs just don't really care for other dogs. forced meet and greets for these dogs is most unhelpful at the stage you are in.

Right now, I would focus on the following

Benji sees other dog at his safe distance, gets super yummy treat, followed by a chance to do something else with you. play tug, do a silly trick, turn walk the other way etc. if he can't do the "something else", your too close to the other dog, move for distance and try a new distance with the next dog.

Get into the habit of seeing other dogs before benji. this takes practice. but you will get there. if you see the other dog first you can start planing ahead. do we need to turn go the other way. duck behind a parked car/tree/dumpster etc. or will there be enough distance to just keep moving forward and pass?

Giving Benji breaks. On Monday you avoid dogs at any and all distances, ideally you work it so that benji never even sees a dog. On Tuesday, maybe take him to a park with plenty of room for him to have his safe distance, when he sees a dog go into your routine. after 1 or 2 dogs, go for extra distance, finish your walk or go home. Wednesday, give him another break day. and so on.

always keep in mind. this isn't a race, and progress isn't always a strait line. There will be days "life" conspires against you and if it can, it will go wrong. or maybe benji is just not in the mood and so a little more "hair trigger" about the things that bother him. this is all normal and the best thing to do is call it a day and minimize the "damage". make the next day a "break day" and start over again.

But the less benji feels the need to go into his "aggression" behavior, the faster this all will go. which is why I give the advice I do. Safety first, then how do we set the dog up for success.
Keli&benj

Post by Keli&benj »

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply jacks dad I really appreciate it and excellent advice. :D
Keli&benj

Post by Keli&benj »

He ignored 3 dogs on today's walk.. Babybels is the key! He bloody loves them and the caseing really helps :D Been looking around the forum and found some links to Dr Sophia Yins site and have found the training vid really helpful!
marie estey

Post by marie estey »

Keli I just completed an agressive dog class with my border collie the trainer was amazing and used only positive reinforcement. She taught me how to get my dog to soly pay attention to me and how to use cues like look at that or eyes on me. to get my dogs attention on certain things. we were able to teach my dog that she could look at other dogs while on leash an then look back to me for more guidance. She learned that its ok to ignore other dogs and keep going that they wont harm her.
She had me read a book called Click to Calm it goes through step by step how to help aggression and reaction to others. This book and trainer gave me the most amazing tools in the world thanks to both I'm a better doggy mom I suggest reading it it might help.