Seperation anxiety (foster dog)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

troop

Seperation anxiety (foster dog)

Post by troop »

Hi all i havent been on here for an age so hello again :D all my crew are doing well Harry (wolfy dog with lupus) is doing great we still have issues with other dogs but hey ho will keep at it. Anyway the main reason i popped back is i have taken on a lurcher (fostering until home is found) and she has high levelks of stress when left now normally time is what i give my dogs with this issue and i have managed to deal with quite a few dogs with this behaviour but i dont know how long this girl will be with me and i dont have quite as much time as i used to plus im worried even if i can get her to settle that once she actually goes to a new owner she will go right back to the beginning again. Anyway i have had her a week and can now successfully leave for the bathroom and walk around the house with her unbothered 90% of the time. I can walk out the front door and she will start to whine after 5 minutes but can be left for a little while and i can come back to a fairly calm doggy. But i did have to leave her for an hour the other day and she did howl/whine and chew a bit i feel bad but i had to go out. :( Anyways she is otherwise a fantastic little girl and i hope she finds a great home soon but does anybody have any tips on helping with her seperation anxiety??? Please and thank you.
jakesmom

Re: Seperation anxiety (foster dog)

Post by jakesmom »

Hi Troop

It's been busy of late and it looks like your post has been missed.

I understand what you're saying about seperation anxiety and foster dogs, I would imagine it could all flare up again when they are rehomed. Don't know though, haven't any experience of it.

When you leave and come back do you make it no big issue ?

Have your done the leaving the room for a few seconds and slowly building up the time you're away for?

And when you left him for the hour did you leave him with a kong to chew on?

You probably have tried those things but if you haven't they're well worth trying.

I'm sure more experienced people will be here to help you soon.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oh maaaaaaan how did i miss this girl, shes a stunner Troop!

Keep working on the sep. anx, clearly what you are doing IS getting through, we all have the little setbacks when something comes along that mucks up the routine, like HAVING to go out longer than we'd ideally want to.

Will she chew a Kong toy or similar food dispensing toy whilst you are gone?

I am also wondering about you teaching her a visual cue for 'im going but its ok' that she could t hen take to her next home, which would give her some sort of continuity there - if a Kong works it could be as simple as that.

More pics of her please!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
troop

Post by troop »

Just a quick update Honey is still looking for a home but we actually had no issues leaving her alone if we left the house the issue was only if we left the room which we were working on. Unfortunately she is now back in kennels :( and we miss her but know its not really feasable to keep another dog long term but she has been given a thourough and good review so im hopeful she will find a home soon ......
Here are a few more pics of the pretty little princess