Territorial marking?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kareng70

Territorial marking?

Post by kareng70 »

My 10 month-old aussie-shepherd mix has had every blood test, ultrasound and urine culture he can have, and no bladder problems and no infections. However, he pees continuously throughout the day. He rarely has accidents indoors, including his crate (which he has been in for 3 1/2 hours at the longest). When we bring him out, he can urinate quite a bit, then a couple minutes later go some more, a couple minutes later go some more. He does the same with defecating. He can have up to 6 bowel movements a day, especially if I bring him to the dog park, where he will have at least 2 in an hour's time. We've got him on grain-free food, and don't think he has a food allergy. The only other symptom of an allergy is gunk collecting in his eyes on a daily basis. It seems like either he doesn't know how to completely empty himself out, or is purposely "holding" some to mark areas later. He does have a guarding bark from inside our house. So I'm not sure if I should be watching for other territorial behaviors, or just accept this annoying habit? :|
Nettle

Re: Territorial marking?

Post by Nettle »

What exactly is the problem? Sorry if I'm being dense, but if he is not wetting or messing in the house, I can't see what you are getting upset over. Please would you explain and then we can help. :)

Dogs don't empty out completely in one hit like we do: urination and defecation are part of a complex communication with other dogs. Excitement/stress stimulates bladder and bowels to evacuate more often because the hormones released are designed to do that. You have a normal dog.

Does he have regular mealtimes or is he free-fed? Does he have constant access to water? Tell us more about his average day.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
kareng70

Post by kareng70 »

He is fed two times a day-once in the morning and once in the evening. He certainly doesn't free-feed because he eats all his food in one minute. The problem is, he is scratching to go out every 30-60 minutes unless he's dead tired from doggy daycare or the dog park. And you never know when he's finished going to the bathroom, so we have to walk him at least 15 minutes every single time we take him out-otherwise he's asking to go out again in 5 or 10 minutes. He does have access to water all day, but only drinks excessively while he's outside at the dog park, especially if it's hot out.
I work from home 2 or 3 days a week, and am interrupted throughout the entire day with his whining or scratching to go out. I take him for a walk in the morning, the dog park around noon for at least an hour, then another romp outside in a fenced area around 4pm. In between I take him out as he asks. I've tried trying to distract him with chews and Kongs, but those usually don't last very long. I've wanted to be able to get to the office more often, and hire a dog walker to come once a day, but I'm afraid that won't be nearly enough for him.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds a pretty good regime :) and you have been such a good pro-active owner with the vet. checks. And HE is being such a good dog trying to be clean - because when you gotta go, you gotta go! I do so understand your frustration with wanting to get on with your work, too. Unfortunately some dogs mature a lot faster than others, and it looks as if you have one of the slower kind.

What are you feeding him? Some foods contain a lot of fillers and therefore produce vast amounts of waste. Dried foods cause excessive thirst in many dogs, and some are full of salt and undesirable chemicals. Simply changing to better food can make a huge difference.

Have a look through our pinned Exercise the Mind thread for some ways to occupy him while you work (I work from home a lot too) and try feeding him out of a kong (same thread for instructions on how to make this long-lasting) and creating some puzzle-toys for him.

kareng70

Post by kareng70 »

We currently feed him Taste of the Wild salmon, prior to that was the lamb formula. I always feed high-quality kibble. I'm looking into starting him on raw, just to see if it makes any difference. Both of my dogs are scavengers, and no matter the quality food I give them, they'll pick up anything off the ground and consume it. I'm sure that doesn't help the digestive system. I've worked with them on the "leave it" command, but we need work on that outside where there are so many distractions.
I will check out the posts you mentioned. I have tried many chews to occupy him-rawhide (which usually gives him diarrhea), antlers, marrow bones, homemade frozen treats, frozen Kongs, etc.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

TOTW is pretty good as kibbles go. :)

Rawhide chews are processed with chemicals and upset many dogs. Otherwise you are doing pretty much what we all do here.

So, honestly, I think we may be back to a veterinary issue. I know your vet has checked everything inside out, but you/we may have to think outside the box here. Did the dog have bloods checked for organ function? Excessive urination may be linked to a condition called diabetes insipidus, which is nothing at all to do with 'normal' diabetes, but is a malfunction of the pituitary which is not producing enough anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) the condition is harmless but incurable: there is a drug to manage it. Excessive faeces production may be linked to an irritable bowel, which in turn can sometimes indicate liver, pancreas or kidney issues, and probably more besides.

Do you have access to a holistic/homeopathic vet who can treat the dog systemically? It's well worth the expense.

kareng70

Post by kareng70 »

He did have his liver function checked, and it was fine.
We have a holistic vet in the area who does chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal treatments, etc. I've just been a bit hesitant because I've already spent hundreds at the vet.
I did go to an "animal communicator" recently who does reiki readings on animals. She said she could see an issue with his spine-that something wasn't lining up correctly and causing some discomfort for him, making him feel like he is never completely emptying himself out. Still, I don't know if there is just a behavioral issue going on here or an actual physical problem. He sleeps through the night fine. But if he's awake and not completely occupied he thinks he needs to go out. And every time I bring him out, he does go to the bathroom. My vet says to just crate him longer and longer, but I don't want him to be uncomfortable either.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Can you put a photo up of him please? Preferably from the side showing all his body.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
kareng70

Post by kareng70 »

I attached a pic of him, taken today.
Tonka_062111.jpg
Tonka_062111.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 6764 times