how can i stop riley being so excited when he see's another

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

**liz**

how can i stop riley being so excited when he see's another

Post by **liz** »

hi all,

i was wondering what i can do to stop riley pulling and jumping around when we are out walking when he see's another dog?!?! he gets so excited and i cannot control him!
please help me!!!
jacksdad

Re: how can i stop riley being so excited when he see's another

Post by jacksdad »

how old is Riley? what breed? can you give a brief run down of his typical day such as how often and what kind of exercise he gets, how often feed and what kind of food, any training (typical obedience and/or silly tricks, sports like agility that kind of thing)

how is he with dogs he knows when on leash?
how is he with dogs off leash?
is this only with strange dogs? smaller than him? larger than him? does color make a difference? male or female? or both?
or is this with any dog?
**liz**

Re: how can i stop riley being so excited when he see's another

Post by **liz** »

Riley is a 15 month old male lab!!
excersise: about 1-2 hrs a day (walking and playing eg - fetch! we have a very large garden!!)
it doesnt seem to matter what type of dog! he just wants to greet all of them, he is very friendly!
obedience is the home is good. he can sit , wait, leaves things when told and comes when called!
he is fed twice a day and has a good appetite, he will eat whatever he is given!
my cousin and i take riley and her dog for a walk together sometimes but as she is an aggressive dog we generally dont let him greet her at all!!!

generally he is very well behaved but when we go out he is another dog completely!!! :(