4 year old Rescue Border Terrier

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dottiem22

4 year old Rescue Border Terrier

Post by dottiem22 »

HI

I really need some help - I rescued a 3 yr old border terrier last year. He is a very adorable loving dog in the house and to the family. He shows no aggression ever to any of us.

when he is in the garden or on a walk he becomes a different dog that I dont recognise - he will become aggressive to any living animal (but not any human)and has attacked friends dogs and my daughte puppy. He will try to escape the garden at any given time and we have a large rural garden (we have spent £hundreds having the garden fenced in and the height increased as he climbs - yes climbs the fence).

On his last two adventures he has managed to kill my neighbours chickens 3 the first time and 4 the second.
We have tried dog training - but he is so aggressive to the other dogs.

we walk him morning and night and I have imported a dog jogger from the US which I attach to my bike and run him for a good three miles per day too.
He responds to training with food however if there is anything more interesting I cannot keep his attention or focus and that red mist comes over him and he is lost. I desparate for help - any ideas
troop

Re: 4 year old Rescue Border Terrier

Post by troop »

hi do you have any good proffessional trainers nearby to come see him at home and give you some help.Borders are often quite feisty and pretty aggressive with small furries if not bought up with them and trained from an early age but its good you can get his attention with food thats a start.... have you tried a watch me command? so you can get him to look at you when you ask. would also like to say i know what you mean about climbing, my amber can climb 6 foot fencing and doors and actually leaps up trees :shock: ... im sure you will get lots of great advise im new here but i have already picked up loads of helpful tips :D
***Melissa***

Re: 4 year old Rescue Border Terrier

Post by ***Melissa*** »

It seems you have a reactive dog. Use the forum's search function and search for "jacksdad". He has done wonders with his reactive dog, and you will learn a lot from his posts.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams