Hello!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Hello!

Post by AliceGrimm »

Hello everyone!!

I'm Alicia and I am 26 years old. I live in the USA. Ermm I am not good at these things. But puppy wise, I am currently trying to learn all I possibly can before I bring home any life time companions. I am wanting to bring home two Miniature Schnauzer puppies. I am waiting until Summer 2017 to bring home any companions for life. I think that should give me time to do my research, puppy proof the house and yards, and just learn more overall. I also want to have all supplies and items I need before I bring them home. I want to talk to veterinarians around my area, training programs, etc.
JudyN

Re: Hello!

Post by JudyN »

Welcome! :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

Welcome, and good on you for doing your prep well in advance of getting your puppy instead of when you already have them! :)

I can't tell from your phrasing if you plan to get two puppies at once, but if that is the path you're currently on I'd highly recommend checking out this article on getting two puppies at once. The long and short of it is it's a NIGHTMARE and it's likely that, unless you make the puppies your literal full-time job - 24/7 - the puppies you get at the same time will never be as well adjusted or trained as two dogs that you get at different times. I've been through raising two puppies at once (not my choice or my dogs, but the family I nanny for). I spent more time trying to get the puppies well-adjusted and well-trained than on anything else, even myself, when they were young. It was hard, frustrating work, and neither grew up to be the awesome dogs they could have been if the family hadn't fallen for the breeder's claims that it would make raising the puppies easier than if they only got one.

Feel free to have a wander around the board and ask any questions you like!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Erica wrote:Welcome, and good on you for doing your prep well in advance of getting your puppy instead of when you already have them! :)

I can't tell from your phrasing if you plan to get two puppies at once.

Feel free to have a wander around the board and ask any questions you like!
Thank you! And thank you for the article. Yes, I was considering purchasing two puppies at the same time. I am curious. What would be the recommendations of when to get another? How many weeks-months afterwards? And then afterward.. how do you know if your older puppy will accept another puppy? Do you bring them when you are picking another one?

I have tons of questions. I hope you don't mind. But this is why I am giving myself a stretch of time to figure this all out and make sure I understand. I have the dedication and the puppy is my priority. But I am still new and while I have been around dogs all my life and have worked as a dog bather, I still need all the advice and help I can get. Knowledge is power.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

JudyN wrote:Welcome! :D
:D Thank you!!!