Dobermans?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

SheDevil

Re: Dobermans?

Post by SheDevil »

I know it's been more than a year since you posted your query, but I do hope you were able to keep the dobie pup.

I have my first doberman, and she's lovely. I adopted her at almost three years old, so there was something of an adjustment for both of us. She is sweet and loving, devoted to my cat (who comes for walks with us and is jealous when other cats approach the dog. Oh, and who has his own neighbourhood fan club!), and very energetic. She can sleep most of the day, walk for three hours, then go off leash and run as though she'd not been exercised in days. Someone at work who has one says her boy is really obnoxious if he doesn't get a couple of hours of good exercise, so it really does depend on the dog. I can get away with three ten-minute walks a day, but I love to watch her run, full tilt and happy as the sun. It makes spending a couple of hours in the park at -30 degrees completely worth it. We're doing clicker training, and she enjoys the classes.

I'm hoping I can keep her in good health, and if not, here's hoping I never lose my job at the veterinary hospital! I decided to take the risk after reading up on the breed, along with several others while trying to decide which dog I wanted adopt. I have noticed we see certain breeds more commonly for certain issues (labs eating everything from hockey equipment to whole chickens, as well as TPLOs; dachshunds for neurological issues; a great variety for cancer treatment, bulldogs for facial surgery), but not a lot of dobermans for illness so much as occasional accidents. Besides, there was just something about them in all that reading, plus the photo of her in the ad. What a reward she has been.