New forum area! Lets use it!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

New forum area! Lets use it!

Post by emmabeth »

Ok so this bits new, and like a kid faced with a field of virgin snow....... I wanna run amok in it... but wait! Lets be sensible here.... (aww... must we?)...

Anyone who has a specific breed or particular breed experience, if you want to do a post along the lines of 'my experiences with xyz breed' - go for it. If you want to include breed standards or bits of information published elsewhere thats ok but keep it to a short paragraph, with the appropriate sources quoted and a link to the bigger article wherever that is located (if its from a book then give the title, the author and the ISBN details please).

Id like this area to be useful to people thinking about what breed they might like to own, so if we can keep it to either personal experience or solid fact, thatd be great.

Ill do one about my breeds in a moment!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dobieboi

Re: New forum area! Lets use it!

Post by dobieboi »

The Doberman Pinscher, Click the link to view more http://www.committedcanines.com/dobermannpinscher.html

The Doberman Pinscher (alternatively spelled Dobermann in many countries) or Doberman is a breed of domestic dog. Dobermann Pinschers are among the most well known breeds as an intelligent, alert, and loyal companion dog. Although once commonly used as guard dogs, watch dogs, or police dogs, this is less common today. In many countries, Dobermann Pinschers are one of the most recognizable breeds, in part because of their actual roles in society, and in part because of media attention (see temperament). Careful breeding has improved the disposition of this breed, and the modern Dobermann Pinscher is an energetic and lively breed suitable for companionship and family life.
Neil J Hutchins, VTS
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

I own two JRT's and they are great dogs, but need to be doing something; if not they will find something to keep themselves busy and sometimes that is not good. JRT's are great little dogs and can be very bold with other dogs whether the other dog is big/small. They need to keep busy, if not they will get into things like ripping base boards off the wall or dig holes in the wall. I have been there and done that with my girls. The Jack Russell was named after the great John Russell who was looking for a breed that was small, devoted and loyal to their owners and that can keep up with the fox run. They are very smart and sometimes they will even have the owner trained before you have them trained. They tend to get hyper and jump around barking or off chasing something, but they are easy to train. They need to keep busy at least one hour of run time sometimes help. They do well with positive training methods, but will shut down after a while if your training sessions are longer then 15 mins. They love learning new things which is great for when you have come up with something new to teach them. As to my own JRT's they are very lazy and very calm, relaxed they are not like most you will hear or see which says that they are getting their needs met; where others that are jumping, barking or just going crazy they are not having their needs met which causes a lot of behaviour problems. This is my own experince with the breed, and i love the breed as mine are very loyal, devoted to me, and can be very loving also they love to kiss a lot. :lol:

Owner of two wonderful JRT's
Image Image
thepennywhistle

Collies, rough and smooth!

Post by thepennywhistle »

Hi all,

I have collies, have had collies for about 20 years now. Tried showing, found I wasn't competetive enough,
though my dog was good. Tried breeding. Bred 1 litter, was overwhelmed by trying to see all the puppies
into safe homes, and even then I found one in the pound, though the contract specified they'd give her back
if they had to give her up. Moved into collie rescue and helping the collies that really needed an extra bit of
luck and love. This is my spot with my breed :)

I think collies are just super dogs. Gentle, so very smart, easy to work with and train to do anything you want,
and I don't have to worry about them being too eager to use their mouths. I had GSDs before collies, and I
still adore the breed, but I always had this worry about someone crossing a line with my dog and getting
bitten. Collies only protect me, not the property, though they will let me know about anything I need to know,
such as a neighbor kid's pot party in the back field at 2 a.m., or the space shuttle launch streaking over the
front field. "Woof," said Cassidy. One woof, and then I could follow where his collie needle nose was pointing.
He never gave a false alarm, and I learned never to disregard that woof. His big quirk was chasing helicopters
off the property. Hey, they always flew away after he told them to.

Cassidy was also devoted to unweaned kitten rescue. He was the biggest nana dog. It ended up that I would
do the feeding, but he took care of everything else -- all the washing, the comforting, letting them sleep
curled up in his coat, or play king of the hill on top of him. If he felt his kittens were being threatened by
something, such as other dogs playing, he'd pick them up and relocate them. One kitten was so special to
him that he hid him from adopters that came to meet him, then tried to block them from reaching him. The
look of heartbreak he gave me when he realized it wasn't going to work nearly made me cry. I had to let him
keep Tigger :)

The collies always helped me with the horses, moving them in or out for me, helping me feed. One rescue,
MacLeod, was absolutely determined to stay glued to my side while I slept in the stable during foal watch.
Knowing what moved about in the dark, I was rather grateful. Unfortunately, in protecting me one night,
he and the others barked a possum to death. Just stood around it and barked, but I guess they scared it
to death. That's a collie. Protective, but no more force than necessary. At one point a hurricaine (a small one)
passed directly over my farm. I had to go out and feed the horses, make sure the stable was still standing in
the wind, etc. The rain and wind was so bad I got lost on my own property between house and stable as I was
trying to make it back to the house. Two of the collies came out into that storm with me. Never left my side
while working with the horses, but when we headed back to the house they wasted no time in running ahead of
me. I got turned around with the wind and rain in my face and didn't follow them. When they realized I was
going the wrong way, they came back ut into the storm to redirect me and show me the way back.

The rescue collies are always sad, always confused, but rarely at fault for losing them home. My vet once
said of them, looking at the most recent shelter pull, "You know, when you bring these dogs in, it's never
a dog problem. It's always a people problem." Not always, but he was pretty close. And there are always
surprises, like Lassie, who came to me at age 10 years, found dumped on a highway. She never stopped
searching for her car, or her children. She adored children. Any child. Would cry and wave to children,
begging for hugs. I watched a mom let a toddler, new to walking and wobbly, head for her with mom's
encouraging "go see the doggie." Not a good move with a strange dog, but Lassie grinned, gave that
high whine of joy, and threw herself to the floor with an audible thump, then flattened small and still to
let that child crawl all over her. I think that was the happiest I ever saw her. Then there was James, an
old man who was dumped in a kill shelter at age 8 because his family was moving. He went to heal the
broken heart of a little girl whose last dog gave chase to something while on a leash and towed them both
into the path of a truck. Dog was killed. Girl was traumatized. James was quiet, dignified, patient,
wanted hugs and tea parties, and would NEVER endanger that child. And he had the funniest trick -- if
you asked him "Where's Timmy? Is Timmy in the well?" He would go into this barking, capering dance
that made everyone laugh. There was Chance, nearly starved to death and abused, who while still new
to having food again, was so overwhelmed by the smell of hamburgers that he tried to climb through
Wendy's drive-through window. Got the front end inside with one lunge, with one hind foot on the horn
and the other wedged in my bra. Poor traumatized boy. Fortunately the employees understood and
weren't upset. They gave him his own Kid's Meal. And then there was funny Kayley, whose favorite
napping spot was on top of the washing machine. Never figured that one out.

They are all different, but all amazing in their own way. And while they aren't Lassie right out of the box,
they all have the potential to be a Lassie. My personal feeling is that you can't go wrong with a collie :)

Skye and the white merle collies
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Aww, very sweet. I don't have collies myself, but I really enjoyed reading about your's. They sound amazing :)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams