Sighthounds are they really that quiet?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Sighthounds are they really that quiet?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

I have been spending a lot of time around. Sighthounds and been on a few lircher walks and sighthound walks but especially i have been spending a lot of time around afghan hounds and borzoi's and have been on a few walks with them and have decided that my next dog will defiantly be either a Borzoi or Afghan hound.

I learnt a lot on the walks but one thing stood out to me that i wanted to check is true. Nearly all of the owners on the walks even on the sighthound walks said that all sighthounds are very quiet dogs and they hardley ever bark? Is this true that all sighthounds are the quietest of breeds
JudyN

Re: Sighthounds are they really that quiet?

Post by JudyN »

Possibly not the quietest of dogs - Basenjis can't bark (though maybe yodel instead?), and I've not spent a lot of time with borzois or Afghans, but yes, in general sighthounds don't tend to bark unless there's a reason. That doesn't mean I can shut Jasper up when he's down the bottom of the garden barking at monsters (a trail camera has revealed them to be cats and foxes), or feels threatened in any way of course. And I dare say if the dog was a cat hater and saw one lurking in the front garden through the window he could have a lot to say about it. But there's no random barking. If he wants attention (door opening, the dirty saucepan in the sink) he tends to give one single bark to summon me. The back-door etiquette is one bark for out, two barks to come back in.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

And the mediterranean branch of the sighthound world does bark when working, so that barkiness can translate into other areas of life if kept as pets. But they are still not overly barky unless there is a reason.

Sighthounds in general do have a range of wowly yowly howly noises, and some of them howl more than most breeds, but it still isn't all that much.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:16 amSighthounds in general do have a range of wowly yowly howly noises
Aka conversation :wink: Some can whine all day long, just to let you know that they're there, or that the sun isn't in the exact right spot on the sofa.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009