Hounds?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Hounds?

Post by ZaraD »

Yesterday I met a lovely woman who came into my Salon and asked me a question about scent hounds , she said that she has recently retired and has waited all her life to have a dog as her job ( she told me she was a nurse) was none stop and did not have the time for a dog and has waited till she retired to have a dog so she has the time for one.

She said she has been doing her research and she said she has always had a soft spot for scent hounds and otterhounds in particular. She said the only problem she has with them is that most scent hounds are vocal not a problem for her but she said her neighbour won't be happy with a dog who barks all the time.

So she asked me if it's true that all scent hounds are yappy and bark or howl all the time?

I told her that I'm not entirely sure as I'm not an expert but I can find out for her and she said she was very greatful of I could find out for her, she's given me her number so I can tell her.

My understanding on scent hounds ( I have only ever met Basset, beagles and Griffen Vendée) is that they are vocal if left alone or is they hear or see something but the scent hounds I know are not yappy or constantly vocal yes they are quicker to howl or bark then most breeds but there no more vocal than GSD , I say this as my new neighbors have beagle's and I hardly ever hear them except for when there outside and they want Sampson and Lara to know there outside, or if someone comes to the door ect..., But in the house there pretty quiet.

I just wanted to ask for everyone's advice would you call all scent hounds very vocal ( always barking) ?

She is aware that scent hounds have to stay on lead as there not great with recall and she's fine with that and she's fine with there independent nature.
Last edited by ZaraD on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotsaquestions

Re: Hounds?

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the point of scent hounds is to track and make noise, so the hunters could follow the hounds. So I would think pretty much all of them are noisy, even Dachsunds like to bark.

Most common one I've met is a beagle, and they have a set of lungs on them. It isn't a bark or a yap, its like a really loud barky howl. You can hear a beagle for AGES away, far further than you can hear my Spitz. They know how to make their voice carry. :lol:

I don't own a hound but I do own a very vocal breed, and he's fairly quiet in the house unless he's playing / alerting to the door. I would imagine it is the same for hounds. If they bark in the garden, bring them in. If they bark for attention, ignore them. If they bark for the ball to be thrown, wait for quiet. Etc:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 am Correct me if I'm wrong but the point of scent hounds is to track and make noise, so the hunters could follow the hounds. So I would think pretty much all of them are noisy, even Dachsunds like to bark.

Most common one I've met is a beagle, and they have a set of lungs on them. It isn't a bark or a yap, its like a really loud barky howl. You can hear a beagle for AGES away, far further than you can hear my Spitz. They know how to make their voice carry. :lol:

I don't own a hound but I do own a very vocal breed, and he's fairly quiet in the house unless he's playing / alerting to the door. I would imagine it is the same for hounds. If they bark in the garden, bring them in. If they bark for attention, ignore them. If they bark for the ball to be thrown, wait for quiet. Etc:
That's my understanding to LOQs as soon as my neighbors beagles go outside there howling forever but inside there very quiet, barking outside is not an issue for her she said it's mainly indoors as her neighbour is out at work all day but he spjust told her when he comes home at night he does not want to hear it barking all the time, so as long as there vocal inside then that great it's if there vocal inside that would be a problem.

But my understanding is the same as yours mainly vocal outside but quiet inside unless the doorbell rings that's different.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

agreed with above with small side note that given the set of lungs they DO have on them, if they DO develop a barking problem (like say a noise sensitivity or SA) shes gonna have to jump on that MUCH faster than say, if a chihuahua did.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:33 amShe is aware that scent hounds have to stay on lead as there not great with recall and she's fine with that
Noooooo!! There's no breed/type of dog that has to stay on lead. There are individual dogs who have to stay on lead, and it's true that when I see a beagle I tend to hear someone calling 'Rosie!!!' from about a mile away :lol: But her approach should be to train recall right from the start with the assumption that it will eventually be 'good enough' - where 'good enough' is dependent on the sort of areas she can walk in of course.

Always keeping a dog on lead may be necessary with some dogs but it's never ideal - just imagine taking a child out to play and never letting go of his hand.

There's an otterhound group on Facebook - it would be worth your friend getting in touch with them so she could speak to people who have lived with the breed. I also found an otterhound forum http://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/ot ... like.6854/ It doesn't seem to be active, but the page I linked to mentioned a few negatives - she could look for similar resources to do a bit more research.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:02 am
ZaraD wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:33 amShe is aware that scent hounds have to stay on lead as there not great with recall and she's fine with that
Noooooo!! There's no breed/type of dog that has to stay on lead. There are individual dogs who have to stay on lead, and it's true that when I see a beagle I tend to hear someone calling 'Rosie!!!' from about a mile away :lol: But her approach should be to train recall right from the start with the assumption that it will eventually be 'good enough' - where 'good enough' is dependent on the sort of areas she can walk in of course.

Always keeping a dog on lead may be necessary with some dogs but it's never ideal - just imagine taking a child out to play and never letting go of his hand.

There's an otterhound group on Facebook - it would be worth your friend getting in touch with them so she could speak to people who have lived with the breed. I also found an otterhound forum http://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/ot ... like.6854/ It doesn't seem to be active, but the page I linked to mentioned a few negatives - she could look for similar resources to do a bit more research.
Thanks Judy , she's not picked the otterhounds only that there her favourite, see I didn't know that myself this is why I prefer to ask on here , I thought all hounds have to stay on lead , so I understand that better myself now.

All I want help with from everyone is just the vocal question and then if she decides to go with a scent hound then just which scent hounds you think would be suited to first time owners and then she will do further research into them scent hounds.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

It depends on how much exercise she can realistically give a dog, and where she is able to walk one. I quite like Harriers myself, but they need lots of exercise and stimulation! I find Beagles lovely dogs, but completley and utterly obsessed with food to a point where it would drive me nuts.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:51 am It depends on how much exercise she can realistically give a dog, and where she is able to walk one. I quite like Harriers myself, but they need lots of exercise and stimulation! I find Beagles lovely dogs, but completley and utterly obsessed with food to a point where it would drive me nuts.
Ohhhh that is so true about beagles and food , my neighbor said his would easily get fat if they could but he keeps a tab on there weight.

One of my employees said that of she likes scent hounds she should get a beagle as there a good size for a first time owner , not to big not to small and there love of food means there raised than most scent hounds to train.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

In my opinion I think she should look at sighthounds and I was thinking of the silken windhound as they have locket nature's and I have been told are very trainable?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The question is why does she like scenthounds? Scenthounds and sighthounds are very different so if she's really taken by scenthounds there's no reason to think a sighthound will 'do'. And no reason to think a silken windhound would be a better fit than all the other types of sighthound.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 am The question is why does she like scenthounds? Scenthounds and sighthounds are very different so if she's really taken by scenthounds there's no reason to think a sighthound will 'do'. And no reason to think a silken windhound would be a better fit than all the other types of sighthound.
I already know the awnser to that as I asked her why scent hound and she said because scent hounds have the look she like. She is not big on the way sighthounds look in how there very thin and delicate. She like more stocky broad dogs. The only sighthound I thought of who matched that was an Irish wolfhound but they might be to big.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

If any dog is going to be too big, then an IW certainly is :lol:

It is important to go for a dog that naturally appeals to you. But only going by that can be a recipe for complete disaster - I like the look of tigers but... She needs to consider her experience with dogs, the amount of time and effort she wants to put in, whether she wants a dog who will enjoy long walks but then be quiet round the house or one that will need a lot of stimulation and can be taught 'party tricks'. She needs to think about how long the dog will be left for, the sort of places she can walk it (best not get a sighthound if you live in the middle of a sheep farm next door to a deer park)... She needs to think about how gregarious she is and whether she will expect the dog to accept lots of people coming to the house, or going to pubs and sitting under tables... Also whether finance is a factor - how much is she prepared to spend on dog food? It could cost more to feed an IW a good diet than to feed a human well!

Plus whether she wants a puppy or a more mature dog, whether she'd rather go through a breeder or consider a rescue (there are some good rescues where this can be a relatively safe option).

Choosing a dog based only, or mainly, on looks can be as fraught with danger as choosing a life partner on the same basis. There are many film stars, musicians, etc. I happily drool over (OK, so they're mostly half my age :oops: ) but it I married one of them I'd be filing for divorce within a week :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

From what I can remember I know she said she wants a dogs who easy going as she goes out a lot to places like the beach , to pubs, meeting her family and she wants a dogs she can take with her , I know she wants a dog who will go on long walks with her but be chilled and quiet in the house, the dog will never be left as she's retired and her experience of dogs is just family members who have dogs. She said she's very active and very healthy.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I phoned her to tell her the responses so far , and she said that maybe it would be best to not limited to scent hounds.

She has asked if you all ( including me ) would help her find what breed is right through giving recommendations so she can then research independently into the breeds on the list.

She wanted to know what information you would want to know to help give recommendations?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Given she wants an active houndy looking dog that is easy going and friendly, I would say Labrador. There is a reason they are really popular!

Lurchers can be good 'take anywhere' dogs too, though since they are basically x breeds you never really know what you'll get. Get a Collie x Whippet and you'll have a beautiful, active, possibly trainable, speedy dog. Highly recommend Collie x Lurchers!

Silken Windhounds are gorgeous and I totally love them to death. If Merlin didn't get frustrated with dogs that can run that much quicker than him I would have been looking for a breeder already. I think they err on the whippet side rather than the (disputed) Sheltie side for temperament though.