Helping choose

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Helping choose

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

Ok so I'm helping a family member pick which breed she should get. They have narrowed it down to one breed but I just wanted to see if you all agree with there choice.

Ok so my cousin and her mother have decided the time is right to get there first dog.

My cousin is 32years old and lives with her mom who is in her late 60's both very active people , who enjoy long walk out ect..., My cousin is a health visitor who works monday- Friday from 9am till 5pm but some of those days she finishes at 3pm. Her mom is retired and is very lonely on her own they both have wanted a dog for a long time and have waited for the right time and the feel now is the right time.

Both want to be equally involved in looking after the dog, like both want to walk, feed, train the dog ect..., They told me they both love labradors but feel they are too active for her mom and want a dog who is like a Labrador but without all the energy that labs have ( when I say energy of a lab I mean an adult lab , they are fully aware a puppy and teenage dog will be full of energy no matter what the breed but some breeds mellow out or have low energy as adults)

So she told me they went to crufts this year and they fell for the Newfoundland and said they are similar to labradors , friendly, gentle, affectionate but are not as active as a lab. So I suggested they sender a few questions to see what is for them.

Size: from Labrador size to Leonberger size

Physical exercise a day: anywhere from 1hour to 2hours a day but for the right breed they will be happy to give more but they could not cope with the exercise needs of say a Dalmatian or Weimaraner.

Energy level: medium they don't want a dog whose always on the go and never switches off , they want a calm , laid back dog who once given exercise everyday both mental and physical will just chill watching TV with them, they don't want a dog whose running around all the time.

Barking: medium not yappy or a constant Barker as they have neighbors to think.

Affectionate: very, they want a close bond with there dog who they can have cuddles with.

Child friendly: in there house not important as my cousin can't have a child it's medically impossible for her but there neighbors have children and family members ect... , So they still want the dog to be a breed who is child friendly

Dog friendly: yes as loads of neighborhood dogs and loads of family and friends who have dogs.

Cat friendly: yes as her neighbour has cats so it's important to keep the peace as her and her neighbour are friends so she doesn't want arguments if the dog killed one of her cats so she wants a breed who won't chase to kill.

Stranger friendly: yes but not bothered.

Grooming: not an issue as I said I will do it for free.

Coat type : fine with any

Drooling: doesn't bother either of them

Mental exercise: in the form of brain games and puzzle toys she has no interest in working the dog , just a family pet so she doesn't want a breed who's driven to work or needs loads of mental exercise.

Training: will be starting from day 1 when the puppy comes home and will getting help from a one to one behaviourist like Emmabeth \ nettle someone like them.

Easy of training: they want a breed who's fairly easy to train , it doesn't matter if the breed is not as easy as a lab but fairly easy and not a difficult breed.

Most of what she said I feel suits a Newfie, she said they are aware how big a Newfoundland will get. And the short lifespan , how expensive they are ect..

She said what ever breed we choose , once choosen we plan on reading as much about the breed as we can and meeting as many as we can whatever the breed.

I feel a Newfoundland ticks all there boxes and there going to be sensible , responsible owners by reading as much and leading as much as they can and still get one to one help when they become owners from day one to prevent rather than fix issues so I can't see why they can't have a Newfoundland?

What do you all think?

From my experience Newfoundlands are very gentle dogs and I have always got the impression there not hyperactive either?
ZaraD

Re: Helping choose

Post by ZaraD »

So I have spoken with an owner I know from meeting her on my walks with Lara and Sampson and we saw her this evening , she's owned Newfies for 30yrs and she said the breeders are giving her a blanket of lies , she said newfs are not calm or easy to train, she said there stubborn , boisterous, lively dogs and that they have mastiff ansestery that potential owners never get told about and that's why she would not recommend one to a first time owner.

So after telling them they are a little stuck. If anyone could read the above that they want in a dog and then if anyone can give recommendations?
Erica

Post by Erica »

The newfs we've had in classes haven't been stubborn or boisterous. They take their time about things and aren't fast to respond (it seems like it often takes cues longer to go from "perceived" to "acted on" in the giants), but there's no "you're asking me to do something, so I WON'T do that!" They've been the most laid back dogs in class.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Erica wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 pm The newfs we've had in classes haven't been stubborn or boisterous. They take their time about things and aren't fast to respond (it seems like it often takes cues longer to go from "perceived" to "acted on" in the giants), but there's no "you're asking me to do something, so I WON'T do that!" They've been the most laid back dogs in class.
Than you Erica but unfortunately they have decided that the newf is not for them as they have spoken to more people and have found out they are prone to having problems with the heat in the summer so sometimes you have to accept it's to hot for them even if your on holiday and it means you can't go out with them, that put them off as they would like a dog they can take on holiday who can go out everyday with and not worry.

My sister has also recommend the Clumber spainel which from ding a Google search they like what they see and what they have read
ZaraD

Clumber spainels

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so they are seriously considering a Clumber spainel, does anyone know anything about them?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Clumbers from show lines are really unhealthy. They are also pretty stubborn as dogs.

Working lines are healthier, but they are working dogs so need things to do.

I like them to be honest, but I like aloof, stubborn dogs. Health issues means I would never go for one.

If they like Labs, then they could just go for a showline Lab. They aren't anywhere near as energetic as working ones, and are happy on 1-2hours exercise.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:31 am Clumbers from show lines are really unhealthy. They are also pretty stubborn as dogs.

Working lines are healthier, but they are working dogs so need things to do.

I like them to be honest, but I like aloof, stubborn dogs. Health issues means I would never go for one.

If they like Labs, then they could just go for a showline Lab. They aren't anywhere near as energetic as working ones, and are happy on 1-2hours exercise.
Thanks LOQs after further reading and research they decided on the hovawart ( they saw a breeder today who did not have puppies to discuss the breed) and they fell in love and said they are perfect for them.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Oh my word! Those are active working dogs not for first timers, what made them pick those? :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I agree with LoQ - several websites say they aren't suitable for first-time owners. Or that they are, but with a lot of BUTs.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

They found the breed in a book and then went and spoke with a breeder who said they are a chilled and laid back dog and that there great first dogs who are raised than a GSD.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

They really need to do some independent research. They wouldn't be the first breeder to make claims for their dogs that don't match the reality.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Maybe her particular line are very chilled! I've always known Hovawarts to be very active working dogs, similar to pointers in their need for stuff to do. They also have a bit of a guard dog streak and can be wary of strangers. Maybe there is a huge difference between show and working lines.

As Judy said they should talk to another breeder aswell. Maybe her dogs are chilled after their usual exercise, and for her the normal level of exercise could be 3 hours walking! If you asked me if Merlin was an energetic dog I could say no and be truthful, as he's pretty chilled in the house... After his usual dose of 2-3 hours along the country lanes which has just become routine for me now!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks Judy and LOQs , they have emailed a few more breeders to see what they say.

I agree with both of you and I can't see them being raised than a GSD, maybe the same but I also have only know Hovawarts that are very energetic I use to have one come in to be groomed and her owner said they are a very active breed she compared them to Weimaraners. And that they need a job to do.

I think there like Welsh Springer's were there is no divide in lines.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

unpopular opinon for this thread but here we go -

go to a shelter and find a dog that has exactly the right temperament you want instead of getting a puppy and rolling the dice that it wont be a neurotic nutcase regardless of breed?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Or perhaps a responsible rescue with a foster system -- many dogs behave very differently in the shelter environment than they do at home. The hyper ones that never stop jumping turn into couch potatoes and the quiet sweet ones become fearful and reactive :P But yes, if they have no idea where to start, I think a rescue is a good start.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14