Does size matter?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Does size matter?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

So at crufts I fell for the mini but on utility day one of the mini owners showing there mini's was very honest and said that even though she knows a lot of mini owners also have giants , she said in her opinion there not a great match due to size as she said the best matches are when the new dog will be a similar size to the current dog and also when there energy levels match as well.

Would you agree?

She also said that in her opinion with the giant schnauzer having a strong personality (due to there guarding history) and sometimes can be problematic with other males it would be wise to go with a female but also to pick a breed that's not as challenging or as strong in temperament and instead more placid and easy going like a Labrador as an example?

Do you agree a dog like a lab would be a better match for a giant schnauzer than a mini?

Is there any truth in that placid dogs are better suited to more challenging dogs like giant schnauzers? She said that a more placid dog like a lab is less likely to argue and is more likely to get a long and be cooperative with the current dog just as there cooperative with there owners.
Lotsaquestions

Re: Does size matter?

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I agree with her on all counts. A large dog and a small dog will need more supervision than those of the same size, as a small dog can easily be hurt in just normal play. Also if two dogs are headstrong and not likely to back down / likely to get into squabbles then again it is more work in watching them. Two terrier bitches together proved that point. Their hatred started as one simple fallout that neither wanted to back down from, after that it was just pure hate.

That isn't to say it can't be done, but it would be more work. Its the main reason I've been very strict in looking at the sizes of my next dog (if we go ahead) both bigger and smaller. If that wasn't such a big issue to me a Papillon might well be joining us, but as it stands Merlin is a solidly built oaf and I would worry about the delicate limbs of a Papi. One chase gone wrong and it could be a severe injury.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks lotsaquestions , I think I shall look into labradors as I do like retrievers and even though I prefer goldens , half of Sampson's friends are labs and now come to think of it most of his doggy friends are more easy going breeds. I like the labs otter tail :D

i thought i should ask before i 100% decide on the Labrador, would a welsh springer be ok in terms of size as energy levels are similar and welshies tend to be easy going like the lab, but am worried that they are smaller than a lab? would a welsh springer be Ok? as i prefer them to a lab as i only fell for tow breeds at crufts the mini schnauzer and the welsh springer spaniel.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

All the Welshies I've known are very sturdy, well built dogs that can keep up with labs all the way up large GSD sizes. I have no idea what one of the breeds is on our group walk (some really huge hound / pointer type) and all the Welshies are fine with him. Its the more deliately framed you need to worry about rather than purely height / weight. For example a Jack Russel Terrier is going to be fine with Merlin even if they're a third of the weight because they are solidly built, however a Papillon or Yorkie who have more delicate frames would be more of a worry. In the same way a Whippet, who are similar in height to Welshies, would be prone to breaking with a heavy dog.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Ok got , im so glad Welsh Springers can go on the list I fell for them at crufts they have such lovely temperaments and one of the people at the discover dogs stand said that they do a Welsh spring walk every month if I wanted to bring Sampson along to see what he's like with Welshies, so I'll give her a ring and see when the next walk is as sampson has never met a Welsh before.