Is there any truth to it?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Is there any truth to it?

Post by JudyN »

The staffies I've met aren't your typical feisty 'bark first think later' terriers, Shalista. They're calm and confident, and if another dog pesters them they know they can call the shots, so they don't need to get worked up. They just don't have that insecurity that leads to a lot of barking & snarking. I know very little about pit bulls but I get the impression they may be similar?

Of course, this is a generalisation and I'm lucky that almost all of the dogs I meet are loved and well cared for, and managed responsibly where needed.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

That is exactly my experience Judy. I don't doubt they'll finish any fight they enter like lots of terriers, but they aren't quick to get worked up at all.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

*nonod*
I don't doubt they'll finish any fight they enter like lots of terriers
i dont think they're any more viscous or unpredictable than any other breed of dog but ive seen when Bax REALLY goes after something and id hate to be on the receiving end of that if the dog was bigger.

obv with good breeding and good socialization i dont think theyre any riskier than any other breed. just saying IF :!: they kick off because they're terriers they arent going to stop at "bite" ow "okay i think they got the message ill stop now."
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I'm not sure about that, they do have quite alot of self control as dogs. My parents' Yorkies have/had very little in the way of patience and self control, one especially would try and fight to the death, but all the Staffies I've met have been completley different to that terrier mentality. I think if the chips are down they are more likely to have a fight rather than flight response (not a given, lovely little Staffie girl on my group walks who got attacked by a Pomeranian, she was full flight and became fearful of Poms for a time), but you would hope that scenario would never happen to your dog!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Remember, 'terrier' is to a large extent just a name, and their breeding has gone in a very different direction to 'hunting' type terriers. Staffies are often called 'nanny dogs' as they are generally so reliable with children.

It's true, if they decide to bite they don't let go - I've seen someone lifting their Staffie up to grab a rope hanging from a tree and the Staffie latched on and just dangled in midair :shock: But in terms of risk when you do get a bad 'un, it's a bit like saying that great danes are more dangerous than Jack Russells because if they do decide to bite they're going to be able to reach higher and they have bigger mouths.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Iv groomed many terriers in my time westies, Scottish terrier, Welsh terriers, wire fox terriers ect all of these including Bax , rat terrier I class as "true" terriers were the bull breeds like staffies , pit bulls, bull terrier I do not class in the same way as bull breeds were bred to fight\ bull bait and not go under ground after prey like rats ect.. so a staffie is not going to be as intense as true terriers or in other words won't have the a true terrier nature. None of the true terriers have bull dog in them :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't believe it :roll: I wrote a big reply and it vanished.

So - not such a big reply, but:

Fighting breeds may be generations away from being fought, but retain the desire to. So - most are lovely with people, but dislike other dogs. There may be exceptions, but adhering to that concept keeps everyone safe.

In terms of choosing a breed for a first-timer - first timers need to be honest with themselves about their circumstances and knowledge.

It isn't about what the dog can do for the person - it's about what they can do for the dog. About their personal living arrangements and temperaments. Other people in the home and how they feel about the mess and disruption, noise and priorities change that come with dog ownership. Neighbours. Other pets. Available time. Dog-proofing outside areas. Finding safe exercise areas. Coat types. Fulfilling mental stimuli. Researching breed type and therefore being aware of genetic drives. Can they manage? Can others in the home?

Just as not all breeds are the same, so not all owners are. Only by knowing the prospective home can we narrow down the options.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS