Westie?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Westie?

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so we were looking after my uncles dogs yesterday while he went in for keyhole surgery, we were looking after his Samoyed and his Westie however he did not like the samoyed so my auntie has taken the samoyed but he's great with the Westie . Then neighbor came round for a chat with his Labrador and Dalmatian who Sampson is normally ok with but he hates them being in our house and yet there tow of his friends,anyway I think he prefers to share his home with small dogs?

Anyway my mom said she would prefer a smaller dog as it would be easier to walk the tow, then walking tow large dogs. Anyway the westies are one boy and one girl , the boy his neutered and is 8yrs old and the girls is not spayed as she's a show dog and she's 3yrs old and my uncle is planning a litter from her later this year to keep one of the pups as he said that he will only be owning westies after his Samoyed has passed as the Westie has won his heart. Sampson is great with both the westies so me and mom are thinking of owning a Westie and mom really wants one of the pups. But I want to check that the Westie is for us.

The main thing that worries me is if there going to be very difficult to train with them being a terrier? Anyone have any experience or know how easy to train westies are?

And I'm worried about the barking so if they are fairly easy to train then I could train her to be more quiet?

Any advice would be greatful?
Lotsaquestions

Re: Westie?

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Westies are common for a reason - they are lovely. They are still terriers, but the terrierness has been dialed down. They tend to be good with dogs, too (in my experience). Only thing with Westies is they can get skin problems, not sure how rampant it is in the breed but I see allergies in them alot.

Most Westies I've met have been quiet, but that has been outside. :lol:

I would think they might be a bit fragile with a 42kg dog though!

If you are looking at smaller dogs I recommend the Coton De Tulear - they are LOVELY inside and out. Closer to Lab's in temperament than a Westie (minus the retrieve!)
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:32 am Westies are common for a reason - they are lovely. They are still terriers, but the terrierness has been dialed down. They tend to be good with dogs, too (in my experience). Only thing with Westies is they can get skin problems, not sure how rampant it is in the breed but I see allergies in them alot.

Most Westies I've met have been quiet, but that has been outside. :lol:

I would think they might be a bit fragile with a 42kg dog though!
Thanks lotsaquestions my uncles seem to be quiet inside but vocal outside, at the moment they seem to be fine with Sampson and he's careful with them , the boy is 10kg and the girl is 8kg. They seem to be pretty hardy dogs, they both are lovely in nature and are very funny which I did not know, and the skin problems my uncle keeps under control by not using chemical flea or wormers treatment, and feeds raw.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Well if they were raised with a Samoyed that might be why they are noisy outside. :lol:

Border Terriers are also lovely smaller dogs, very dog friendly (bred to run with a pack). They are a bit more terriery that Westies though outside and will chase cute things. Really cuddly and people friendly.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

would NOT recommend getting a ratty but since we're talking terriers....

im obsessed. i love terriers. i wouldn't say they're any more difficult to train than any other breed. ive had great success working with baxs MANY quirks (due to his upbringing not his terrierness)

i would say if your looking at off leash walks maybe a terrier isnt for you? prey drive for small fluffies like squirrels is quite high and even with good training i wouldn't trust them.

if your considered that a terrier might get bullied by sampson, think again, the terrier will 100% be doing the bullying. size has no meaning to a terrier. even a westie as fluffy and sweet as it looks houses a rough and tumble, take no prisoners, just GO FOR IT personality.

remember - westies were bred for a JOB they hunt, they rip, they tear, they have considerable drive. they will always be on the go. this is a dog bred for a job. to kill stuff. and yes its cute and fluffy but its always going to have that drive to hunt something down and tear its guts out. disemboweling a small squeaky fluffy toy may be the closest it gets but thats the kind of personality it has. always on the go, always looking for the next prey (even if its just a scrap of paper or a squeaky toy) and if it CANT find prey to keep itself occupied, trust me, it will find SOMETHING (speaking as the proud owner of a dog that has decided his PUPPY pads are greatest toys in the world to shred into a bajillion pieces)

I dont consider bax a 'normal' terrier due to his upbringing so i cant comment alot on the type as a whole but if you want a very independent dog that dont need no owner and has a streak of sass a mile wide? possibly consider a terrier =P

Commenting on barking - Bax has had serious barking issues BUT those are related to noise sensitivity and not just barking for the sake of barking.

Also @Lotsa
If you are looking at smaller dogs I recommend the Coton De Tulear - they are LOVELY inside and out. Closer to Lab's in temperament than a Westie (minus the retrieve!)

SOOOOO in love with these dogs. if i ever got a pure bred again it would be one of these. drooled over them for so long and then tried to bully my bro into buying one so i could visit. :wink:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Shalista wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 am would NOT recommend getting a ratty but since we're talking terriers....

im obsessed. i love terriers. i wouldn't say they're any more difficult to train than any other breed. ive had great success working with baxs MANY quirks (due to his upbringing not his terrierness)

i would say if your looking at off leash walks maybe a terrier isnt for you? prey drive for small fluffies like squirrels is quite high and even with good training i wouldn't trust them.

if your considered that a terrier might get bullied by sampson, think again, the terrier will 100% be doing the bullying. size has no meaning to a terrier. even a westie as fluffy and sweet as it looks houses a rough and tumble, take no prisoners, just GO FOR IT personality.

remember - westies were bred for a JOB they hunt, they rip, they tear, they have considerable drive. they will always be on the go. this is a dog bred for a job. to kill stuff. and yes its cute and fluffy but its always going to have that drive to hunt something down and tear its guts out. disemboweling a small squeaky fluffy toy may be the closest it gets but thats the kind of personality it has. always on the go, always looking for the next prey (even if its just a scrap of paper or a squeaky toy) and if it CANT find prey to keep itself occupied, trust me, it will find SOMETHING (speaking as the proud owner of a dog that has decided his PUPPY pads are greatest toys in the world to shred into a bajillion pieces)

I dont consider bax a 'normal' terrier due to his upbringing so i cant comment alot on the type as a whole but if you want a very independent dog that dont need no owner and has a streak of sass a mile wide? possibly consider a terrier =P

Commenting on barking - Bax has had serious barking issues BUT those are related to noise sensitivity and not just barking for the sake of barking.

Also @Lotsa

SOOOOO in love with these dogs. if i ever got a pure bred again it would be one of these. drooled over them for so long and then tried to bully my bro into buying one so i could visit. :wink:
I'm convinced that the reason Sampson is gentle is because he knows the westies are in charge, he has never backed down from a game with other dogs but yet he lets the westies win :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I agree with Shalista, terriers will always be terriers. There are individuals in the breeds. My parents had two Yorkies, one is a bully and full on in the terrier department, the other was soppy and soft and never even chased toys. She did however never back down from a fight so there was still terrier in her.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thank you to both of you , I really like the terrier temperament and love how firstly, stubborn, outgoing they are, me and mom are happy to have a westie :D