What she loves about them

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What she loves about them

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Mental stimulation will tire a dog out more. Maybe the owner she spoke to has worked up her dogs stamina so much that he can do 4 walks a day, as that will happen when you continually try and match their physical exercise requirements. Thing about human long distance runners, they train and train and then can run stupid amounts without stopping, but your average human doesn't need to do marathons to be fit and active. Same is true for dogs, taking them for ever increasing walks in the hopes of bringing them home panting tired everyday will just turn them into an athlete.

My own dog can and has walked for 8 hours, most of which was sprinting around and he's small. He's climbed mountains, swam in lakes, and just generally rambled for entire days. Doesn't mean he needed that 8 hours to be happy! He is also content with 1-2 hours sprinting around and some mental stimulation. He runs to get his jollys out, but its when his brain is sleepy that he's content. I can imagine its the same with Eurasiers.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 am Mental stimulation will tire a dog out more. Maybe the owner she spoke to has worked up her dogs stamina so much that he can do 4 walks a day, as that will happen when you continually try and match their physical exercise requirements. Thing about human long distance runners, they train and train and then can run stupid amounts without stopping, but your average human doesn't need to do marathons to be fit and active. Same is true for dogs, taking them for ever increasing walks in the hopes of bringing them home panting tired everyday will just turn them into an athlete.

My own dog can and has walked for 8 hours, most of which was sprinting around and he's small. He's climbed mountains, swam in lakes, and just generally rambled for entire days. Doesn't mean he needed that 8 hours to be happy! He is also content with 1-2 hours sprinting around and some mental stimulation. He runs to get his jollys out, but its when his brain is sleepy that he's content. I can imagine its the same with Eurasiers.
Thank you for your advice , she's sticking with the Eurasier as she loves them and feels there perfect for her. :D
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 am Mental stimulation will tire a dog out more. Maybe the owner she spoke to has worked up her dogs stamina so much that he can do 4 walks a day, as that will happen when you continually try and match their physical exercise requirements. Thing about human long distance runners, they train and train and then can run stupid amounts without stopping, but your average human doesn't need to do marathons to be fit and active. Same is true for dogs, taking them for ever increasing walks in the hopes of bringing them home panting tired everyday will just turn them into an athlete.

Thank you for your advice , she's sticking with the Eurasier as she loves them and feels there perfect for her. :D
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

So Kera is meeting some Eurasier tomorrow one of the head members of the society have invited her to meet there Eurasier and to talk about the breed and she can go on a walk with them. So I'll let you know how it goes.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Please do, I would love to know how she got on. I've been looking around myself and I've seen some who are close to the 18kg weight, so I know they are out there!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 am Please do, I would love to know how she got on. I've been looking around myself and I've seen some who are close to the 18kg weight, so I know they are out there!
Kera has just been found as she spent all morning with the lady from the society, she got to walk one of the Eurasier and asked lots of questions these are the answers she got.

Are they good family dogs?
Yes there amazing family dogs no matter how big or small your family is as they love there owners so much and would do anything for you. There very loyal as well not happy unless there with you.

How barky?
No, compared to other spritz breeds there not very vocal of the 5 I own only 2 bark but they only bark if someone is at the door ect. Outside of there home they rarely bark (she also owned pugs) compared to my pugs who bark at everything outside were the Eurasiers are not bothered by things outside even when they play together there not very vocal more grumble noises.

How much exercise do they need a day?
Eurasiers are very adaptable and as long as there with you then there happy with whatever you can provide but we always recommend at least 1hr a day , more will be appreciated though, but you can get lazy Eurasier who might just be happy with 1hr so it's important to talk to the breeder if you want a more active pup rather than the laid back lazy pup.

What are they like with other dogs?
Very good , when I take mine for walks they always say hello to other dogs but never there owners, there very gentle as a breed so when playing with breeds smaller than themselves they play different to say how they play with a lab, as there sensible and gentle dogs so are always careful to not hurt a small dog.

Size and weight?
They can reach 60cm at height and can range from 18kg to 28kg most females are around 18-22kg.

She then asked about breeders, her lifestyle, grooming requirements ect. She decided that they are for her.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Yesterday I had a coffee with Kera to catch up and she told me she not getting a Eurasier , I asked why she said that one of the breeders she went to also had GSD and she was besotted with the shepherds and the breeder said even though there are issues both in structure and health with the GSD she said clearly your heart is with the shepherd and it would be unfair to the Eurasier to get one but always longing for a shepherd, the breeder had long coats German shepherd , she asked were they were from and she said mystic skies GSD. She's then been watching video after video of GSD and this is the closest she's found of the type of shepherd that the Eurasier breeder had

https://youtu.be/u9oXcjgjac0

I would never own a GSD but if I did I think I would own something similar to the video above as she doesn't look as bad as the ones you see in the show ring.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Well Mysti Skies still breed GSDs, so she could go directly to them.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

She's going to look them up.

What do you think of the GSD in the video lotsaquestions as I thought she looks better than the GSD in the show ring?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I am not a GSD expert but she looks lovely.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:00 am I am not a GSD expert but she looks lovely.
I'm not an expert either but compared to the dogs in the show ring I think she looks better.

I can't find the post were you mentioned mystic skies as I'm sure on an earlier post you said you looked at mystic skies but I can't find it :roll:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yeah I did when I was thinking of a GSD, they were the only breeders I liked the look of in the end. Maybe one day when I have a bigger house & garden I'll actually follow through and have one. :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Found it :lol: