Advice needed please?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Advice needed please?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

My younger sister has just told us that she is between tow breeds for her first dog either a GSD or a Bearded Collie. She mainly lived with our dad when our parents got divorced were I stayed with mom and with dad owning GSD all his life she has a soft spot for the herding group other trainers and even my dad have advised she go with the beared collie and the more happy go lucky in temperament and just love life and are big clowns were GSD are more serious and can become very protective of there people which can get them in trouble.

She's not interested in any other breeds as I tried to tell her goldens are great dogs for first time owner and I'm getting one but she 100% on the fact she's only interested in owning one of the tow above. So I wanted to ask if you were faced with picking one of these tow which is a little easier than the other for a first time owner. She knows neither are easy like a golden but there the only tow breeds she feels happy and confident around? They both suit her as she's home all day and is also a dog groomer like me and she a very active person. My dad said her personality would match the bearded Collie better.
JudyN

Re: Advice needed please?

Post by JudyN »

There's a thread about beardies here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21452&p=148507 There's been quite a bit of discussion on GSDs on the forum in the past, so if you use the search function, searching on GSD, you should find a wealth of information. Ultimately, no one can tell someone else what the right dog for them is - your sister needs to read a whole selection of breed descriptions, maybe find a breed-specific forum to find out what day-to-day life with the breed is like, then make a decision balancing both head & heart.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009