Interesting

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Interesting

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

This post is more me just interested in something that one of my clients said that surprised me and an wondering if it's true.

My human client is a man who owns a beautiful GSD. And he said that GSD are more of a one person dog rather than a family dog he said they can be family dogs as his lives with his kids who are teenagers and he said he gets on well with them but GSD's tend to favour one family member? Is this true as it surprised me and interests me as my dad owns GSD and his have always been great as family dogs.
JudyN

Re: Interesting

Post by JudyN »

In my opinion, a dog can be a one-person dog and a family dog. I grew up with a rough collie who was definitely my dad's dog, but was practically a nursemaid to us children. She would allow us to climb all over her (yes, I know, it's a really bad idea to let a child do this with any dog) and when my younger brother was a baby if he cried in his cot she'd go and get my mum :lol:

Years later my parents had a GSD my brother had found as a stray - he was really my brother's dog, but stayed with my parents when he left home as he worked full-time. Again, he was more attached to my brother than anyone else, but he was unfailingly polite with my parents and the rest of the family.

Both of the dogs were happy to be walked by any member of the family (though my parents couldn't walk the GSD as he was dog-reactive and untrained, and too strong for them).

Contrast this with your average labrador, who will be besotted with anyone if they have so much as a smear of ice cream on their face, and you'll maybe see the difference.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009