Bull mastiff gender?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

Bull mastiff gender?

Post by master2 »

Hi

I bump into one of my old friends that I haven't seen in years and we started talking and she was telling me she's getting a Bull mastiff puppy in a few weeks when there 10weeks old and she still can't decide if she should get male or female. She said there 6weeks at the moment and she has to pick hers next week when there 7weeks as there breeder will now the pups temperaments better by then. She said this will be her first dog ever and has already chosen her training class. With this being her first dog let alone first bull mastiff the breeder has recommended a female as there eaiser than males for a first timer?

I wanted to ask on here for her if you think a female bull mastiff would be eaiser than a male for a first dog?
Nettle

Re: Bull mastiff gender?

Post by Nettle »

Breeder gives good advice.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Yep, a female would be better for a first time. Heck of a breed to pick for a first time dog owner? Or is she just a first time mastiff owner?

ETA: I see you already made it clear it's her first dog ever. Sorry, not on the ball today.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi all

Thanks for your advice.

I contacted her and asked what made her choose the bullmastiff she said she fell for them in crufts and has done a lot of research on the breed and has spent time with them she has also found a positive trainer\behaviourist who is experienced with aggressive, fearful, reactive dogs and has worked with dogs of all shapes and sizes.

So I think she should be fine. She knows there stubborn to train and this won't be easy but she said no dog is easy as there an animal first.

I told her female would be better so she said she will go with female

And I'm sure some people have had bullmastiff as there first dog and were fine?
Lara575

Post by Lara575 »

Hi
Would this apply to a GSD that a Female would be better for my first dog?
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I would say it applies as well. There are many reasons females make better first dogs, in my opinion, one of them, particularly with the more powerful breeds, is they are less likely to go through more reactive/aggressive periods and potentially receive aggression/posturing from strange dogs when a teen than males do. Males are more likely to posture against other males, and be more polite to female dogs.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

master2 wrote:Hi all

Thanks for your advice.

I contacted her and asked what made her choose the bullmastiff she said she fell for them in crufts and has done a lot of research on the breed and has spent time with them she has also found a positive trainer\behaviourist who is experienced with aggressive, fearful, reactive dogs and has worked with dogs of all shapes and sizes.

So I think she should be fine. She knows there stubborn to train and this won't be easy but she said no dog is easy as there an animal first.

I told her female would be better so she said she will go with female

And I'm sure some people have had bullmastiff as there first dog and were fine?
Just a query based on this line: "but she said no dog is easy as there an animal first." this sounds like a line Casar Milan uses a lot. Is she looking at his work for guidance, by any chance?
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

Scarletsci- well I asked she said she believes dogs are dogs first then breed group then breed then individual dog. But she basically does not think any dog will be easy because there all individuals she said you could own tow of the same breed and you will still have problems with the second as all dogs are individuals.

Lara575- I agree with Scarletsci female GSD would be eaiser for your first dog than male as Sherlock my GSD has only just improved on his male dog aggression he LOVES females :roll: but did hate males , now he just ignores other males. Plus he has a lot of males who go for him were my neighbour has never had that problem as his dogs are females. Unless the other dog is female as his aren't spayed but my friends spayed Cocker never has had any other females go for her. And Sherlock is neutered.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

master2 wrote:Hi

Scarletsci- well I asked she said she believes dogs are dogs first then breed group then breed then individual dog. But she basically does not think any dog will be easy because there all individuals she said you could own tow of the same breed and you will still have problems with the second as all dogs are individuals.
Yeah, that line about animal first, then breed, then individual dog is a Caser Milan-ism. She might not want to look to him for how to deal with her first dog.
master2

Post by master2 »

She said she likes both Cesar and Victoria but would use Victorias training methods to train her dog.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Actually, I have often said that about dogs too - first mammal, then dog, then type, then breed/mix, then individual. And I'm about as far from CM as you can get :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:first mammal, then dog
This I think is very important, and what a lot of people ignore. Who ever accused a lion or a wolf of being 'naughty' or 'bad' and deserving of our anger and punishment because of unwanted behaviour? And their unwanted behaviour is much 'naughtier' than any dog.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Nettle wrote:Actually, I have often said that about dogs too - first mammal, then dog, then type, then breed/mix, then individual. And I'm about as far from CM as you can get :)
I don't disagree with the line, or even everything CM says. It just made me question whether she was watching CM shows or reading his books for training tips, going off of the quote.